Er..another favourites thread - programme music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by KMJ Recordings, Feb 12, 2006.

1. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Hi all.

I'm conducting a bit of market research - what are your favourite pieces of programme music (i.e. a piece of music that is designed to tell / follow a story). Additionally, the piece in question can be original or an arrangement but it has to be available for Brass Band.

So, for example, one of my favourite programmed arrangements is the J Ord Hume arrangement of Scheherezade (and therefore linked with the Arabian Nights tales). I'm also quite partial to Hinemoa by Gareth Wood (which is based on a Maori love story).

There are lots out there - but I want to know what are people's favourites that they could listen to time an time again ;)

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I like Tam O'Shanter and the Sorcerors Apprentice (do they count?)
  3. KMJ Recordings

Yep (or possibly!)

The Sorcerer's Apprentice was arranged for the National Championship Gala Concert in, er, 1983 (?) by Derek Bourgeois. Another of my favourites ;)

If Tam o' Shanter was inspired bt the Burns Poem then it counts too....
  4. Di

Di Active Member

Oooo oooo.

Zulu! The story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift. :) Arr. Roger Thorne. Available from Thornes Music. ;)

Cheque in the post Roger. ;)
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

we played a piece last year ( i think it was anyway!) called the King with the Terrible temper.

This quite literaly tells a storry of a king who ( as im sure youve guessed) has a terrible temper.
    it was narated by one of the band, and each charecter has a chord or melody linked with them, that is played each time the name is mentioned
    The audiesnce enjoyed the piece, and it was a lot of fun to play!
  6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Symphonie Fantastique - the March to the Scaffold and Witches Sabbath arr Wilkinson/Snell respectively.
  7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Land of the Mountain and the Flood if that's programme music. Tells a tale to me anyway. Most of Henry Geehl's music as well (Normandy in particular), although whether you could gaurantee it's programme music is open for discussion!.

TIMBONE Active Member

Moor of Venice - William Alwyn
  9. Steve

Steve Active Member

Orient Express for me. I remember hearing it on a tape that I listened to non stop when I was just starting out in music and even then I could imagine the train journey. Love it
  10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Oh yeah...what about King of Elfland's daughter...I think there is a story behind that one
  11. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

There certainly is, - and it's my favourite newest piece of music
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Several of Nigel Clarke's pieces for brass and wind have programmes attached, but my favourite would be his euphonium piece "The City under the Sea".

Many Salvation Army works can be seen as programme works, and I especially like "The Present Age" and "Faith reborn".

Also, an honourable mention for Elgar Howarth's "The Bandsman's Tale".
  13. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Gwennan Gorn - Nigel Clarke , story of first Welsh Explorers to America ( If I remember rightly)
    Pendle Witches - Nigel Clarke , witch hunts in deepest Lancs
    Pines of Rome - 1st movement evocative of children singing and messing about , 2nd Mov sombre and dark , 3rd moment really captures birds and woodlands , dont have to say much about pines of the Appian just feel as if you are a centurian going back to rome , awesome music....
    In Memoriam RK , absolutly fantastic music...
  14. KMJ Recordings

Interesting - it's rare that I find anyone else that likes it :D

(I do, but then it holds lots of memories for me as it was Premiered at the first concert I ever went to - somewhere or other I have a cassette of it, with Elgar Howarth introducing it.)
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've championed it a lot here on tMP! First heard it on a Radio 3 broadcast, and loved it ever since. I've even got a set of parts (less 1st baritone :mad: ) that came up a while back on ebay :oops:

I'm very surprised it isn't programmed more often, although getting the style right can't be easy.
  16. KMJ Recordings

It's great, but you're right it is very difficult to get right stylistically.

I believe (head's swimming with long forgotten facts!) that Besses won the BBC Band of the Year with it in 1978 (so Roy Newsome's first success with the Band IIRC), along with Frank Cordell's Spirals and Derek Bourgeois' Serenade....

Anyway...her endeth the (probably misremembered) Johnson history lesson :D
  17. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I have the recording by Fodens (I think on the CD with Pictures at an Exhibition?), and I think it's a great piece! Would love to hear it live some time!
  18. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I think it is a piece which would appeal to bands and audiences , I prefer the live 1992 Gala concert performance by Black Dyke with James Watson...brilliant emotional music.
  19. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Recent SA peice we have been playing:-

And they Were Heroes

dedicated to the NY Fire department 9/11

Fabulous music