Environmentally Sound Banding?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by HornBlast, Oct 21, 2010.

1. HornBlast

HornBlast New Member

I was wondering how far you travel to your band rehearsal?
    What's the average distance travelled in your band?
    How far is your local band?

Did anybody actually "stay local" when the fuel shortages hit here a few years ago? What are your plans if we get fuel strikes like the French!?
  2. HornBlast

HornBlast New Member

I suppose I'd better answer....

30 mile round trip to band, local band is only 6 mile round trip.
    No, didn't stay local during fuel shortages.
  3. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

100 mile round trip was playing local when fuel shortage happened
  4. JRH

JRH Member

About 12 miles to one rehearsal location, about 30 to another. I can honestly say that the environmental impact of these trips is not something that I've ever even considered or likely will in the future. If I kill off the planet by driving to them, oh well. Hasta La Vista El Mundo.
  5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

What fuel shortage? There hasn't been one in my lifetime. (I'm 67 by the way)
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Are you Bob Sheruncle in disguise? ;)

Just recently I moved to what happens to be the band nearest to where I live (just). The distance had no bearing on my decision - they are a better band that the one I was at so I moved, simple as that. If they were 30 miles away I'd have still gone.

Given that most bands up and down the country are struggling to fill seats its probably the last thing they - or the players for that matter - think of.

But to answer the question:
    I drive about 3 miles to rehearsal, as Bayerd says there were no fuel shortages - it just got stupidly expensive - but no, I didn't consider moving (I was playing for a band further away at the time).
  7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

There certainly were fuel shortages in 2000! And it was rationed to how much you could buy. Police and emergency personnel had priority to purchase fuel too. I had to syphon petrol out of my car and out of my son's car, into my wife's car so that I could drive to Portsmouth to pick my son up when he'd finished Uni.

As for travelling to band I think Joe Cook must be in the running for longest trip. He drives 200 miles each way to Black Dyke rehearsals.
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Waaa? In this country? :eek:

I can't say I remember that, and at that time I was driving a stupidly gas-guzzling car 50 miles a day to get to work, surely I'd have noticed the rationing? Did it actually happen country wide, are was it another case of the media stoking up panic-buying by the general public?

Anyway - it would always be interesting to see which bands grew and which dropped back if there were to be 1984-style restrictions on travel - there are a number of players for top Yorkshire and North Western bands living fairly close to me too, which is still a significant commute in anyone's book.
  9. Johncornetflugel

Johncornetflugel New Member

14 mile round trip to first band and 28 miles to second band (although only 5 minutes drive longer than the first). Second a bit more enviromentally friendly as my wife plays there as well.
  10. Pav

Pav Member

Lasted about a week in Sep 2000 Ian. Certainly affected the Midlands Protests and pickets, bit of panic buying until most of the garages ran dry then stopped. Few more days to get back to normal after that.
  11. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

currently 16 mile round trip.

Local band is about a 5 mile round trip.

Not sure about the fuel shortage... I don't remember one but I may well have been rather young at the time... lol

if there are strikes like in france and fuel runs out, we could use public transport, cycle or even walk!
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Crikey... That must cost him about £50 a rehearsal. Don't know what Dyke's diary is like, but I'd guess that he must be making at least 100 such trips a year. £5000 in petrol and 40000 miles per year just for a band. What a band... But I wouldn't and couldn't afford to do that even for Dyke! (Not that they're asking... :rolleyes:) Matter of fact, the Dyke bandroom is marginally less than 200 miles from me... That is officially not sane behaviour. But it may not be the longest journey - I remember there used to be a bass player at Flowers (I think he's on here) who travelled to them in Gloucester from Cornwall for a while - that's about the same distance. Even we had a bass trombonist (Barry Scott, now at Cwmaman) a few years back who spent a little while travelling to us from Barnstaple - which is 170 miles each way...
  13. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Was that before or after he irritated the entire country by shouting at them to sell an amusingly named cleaning product?
  14. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Us 3 family band members travel 7 miles, round trip, to rehearsals.
    Normally only one rehearsal a week.

I think the furthest anyone in our band travels is a 70 miles, round trip.

With my 'tree hugging' hat on, my only concern is that for all band engagements, we are expected to use our own cars, traveling to concerts and contests.
    Not at all environmentally friendly. :frown:
  15. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

travel down from leeds to gawthorpe for band, no idea how far that is but if I take it easy its about a half hour drive-ish. I'm not sure of any more local bands to the central leeds area.
    When the fuel shortages were on I could actually walk to band but also in 2000 I wasn't quite old enough to drive so.
  16. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Used to be a 28 mile round-trip per rehearsal, before moving house, then a 15 minute walk each way after moving house when playing for Yorkshire Co-op (as was).

After that, 70 miles a rehearsal for Frickley South Elmsall. Although I did split the driving with the bass tromboffonist once I passed my car test.

Currently about 40 miles a rehearsal for Wakefield Met.

Environmentally friendly banding can only go so far. A lot of where we can play is goverened by our ability and the level of commitment we're willing to take on.I live in Brighouse and could be at B&R's bandroom in 5 minutes, or Black Dyke's in 20 - but I'm not even nearly good enough to get a chair at either of them!! So I have to go further afield to find a band that's 1) at the level I want to play at but 2) of a sufficient standard that I can hold a chair down.

Joe Cook, 200 miles a rehearsal?! Blimey. For areas week it'd be cheaper to book into a hotel.....
  17. Kjata

Kjata Member

Supposedly my trip should take about 50 mins... more like an hour...!
    I travelled 100 miles there and 100 miles back when I was at Ipswich.
    Fortunately I have no carbon footprint cause i've always had a lift!! ;)
  18. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Twice weekly 70 mile rehearsal round trip = 140mpw
    8 mile pushbike commute to work = 80mpw
    140m - 80m = 60mpw for band.
  19. simonium

simonium Member

If fuel expenses are paid at even low business rates that equates to £100 a practice! Crikey.
  20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

If my memory serves me right we were issued with coupons in 1975 due to some fall out with the Gulf States. I don't recall if they actually ever came into use.
    At the time I was gigging 7 nights a week in Manchester travelling from Leeds and the situation was quite worrying.
    I also recall petrol stations running out for a few weeks a few years ago (? 2002) we were nearly having fisticuffs at the pumps and there were 1/2 mile long queues at any Filling Station that obtained a supply.

- Mr Wilx