Ents Contest in April and May?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by HornBlast, Feb 22, 2011.

1. HornBlast

HornBlast New Member

Band have just returned from Unibrass and are chomping at the bit to do a bit more contesting!!
    Anyone know of any ents (or own choice) contests in April/May that either have an Unregistered Section or would be willing to allow us in? Willing to travel.....
    Tried the listings on 4BR...only Buxton comes up and that's only for registered bands:(

Your advice and suggestions please....
  2. ljemsley

ljemsley New Member

I love that unibrass has made everyone want to do more contests. This was exactly why we came up with it in the first place. Is there isn't anything for uni bands to compete in. Fingers crossed more contests allow bands to play registered or not.
  3. Columbo

Columbo Member

My advice would be to help to fill up the many spaces in the bands in your area of which there are many. That way you can compete with them
    And also with your uni band at the same time keeping the movement viable for those not lucky or even qualified enough to attend uni. That would mean commiting yourself to 2 rehearsals a week mind you. Just a thought? ;)
  4. HornBlast

HornBlast New Member

Thanks for the reply!
    We already do that and there lies our problem! We have a membership of about 30. Of these, about 7 play with a couple of local bands and about another 3 or 4 are registered with bands back home. For the remainder, Unibrass was their first taste of contesting...and they enjoyed it! Uni life is very demanding and at our weekly rehearsal we have to chase players up to attend etc. I just think that for most, the thought of 2/3/4 rehearsals a week will put them off as you suggest!! but on campus we can manage a 3 hour rehearsal on a weekend for contest preparation.

Anyone got any suggestions for a contest....
  5. euph1991

euph1991 Member

just do whit friday!
  6. blue juice

blue juice Member

16th April - Fife Brass Band Festival (ent)
    8th May - East Anglian BBA Contest (ent)
    15th May - SCABA Entertainment Contest
  7. HornBlast

HornBlast New Member

Doing Whit Friday!

Thanks blue juice..East Anglia a great possibility!!
  8. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Well done to the organisers & all the bands that took part at the Lancaster Uni Contest on Saturday. :clap:
    With so much interest being shown by the competing bands, (getting the contest bug) why not have a Regional 'Uni Brass' section in each area.
  9. blue juice

blue juice Member

I'm not sure there would be enough bands to do that. Also I know at Huddersfield pretty much all of us have our own bands and I'm sure that's the case with RNCM. Also part of the appeal of unibrass was putting an entertainment program together, wouldn't be nearly as fun preparing a test piece.