Entertainments (includes errata)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by imthemaddude, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Entertainments version

Is there only one published version of next year's area piece because our sop player thinks his part might have two versions? Please help before we have to buy the piece again.
  2. imthemaddude

I really need help with this now because our sop player thinks he should go up to a top C in his solo in the first movement but the conductors disagree. This could just be a conflict between edition - can someone help please!
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If it's Entertainments you are talking about and the sop solo that follows the solo cornet, it does go up to top C (... I checked Fairey's recording against top C [concert Eb] in Sibelius).
  4. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Get in touch with Studio who are the publishers!

Tel: 0208 830 0110

5. imthemaddude

Is it actually written on the part or just played on the recording?
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

In the Faireys recording, the part is taken up the octave (by accounts of my memory is correct, but check with the publishers as flashbarry has suggested). Mind U, on an old recording by the NYBBGB, the sops take it down the octave as with Manger Old Star Brass, the player does the same on the Norwegian 1997 Championships recording.
  7. imthemaddude

Just spoke to the publisher and apparently the top C is only optional, it is written down the octave and also as an erata - Figure 10 is missing from all parts and sop part figure or bar 50 can't remember which - the score is correct.
  8. Heppy

Heppy Member

I taught a lad and took him through Entertainments. Cant remember much but dont think there was a top c in there.
  9. Brucey D

Brucey D New Member

Which solo is this? The highest bit I can see is a top B in bar 42. What are they doing giving the sop a top C in the 3rd section anyway? It's only going to be painful, and half of us will miss it.
  10. imthemaddude

I think thats why both of our conductors have said play it in the middle!
  11. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Just received the Area Entry form and the Errata Sheet was included. I'm sure R.Smith & Co Limited will not be offended if I make this important information generally available.

ENTERTAINMENTS - Gilbert Vinter

Regional Championships - Third Section 2006

Note: Rehearsal Figures 10 and 60 are missing on most parts - please add.

1. Soprano - Bar 50 - Score is correct - upper octave, top C optional
    2. Repiano - Bar 43 - Score correct. Bar 60 - tenuto marks score is correct
    3. 1st Horn - Bar 47 - Score correct
    4. 1st Bari - Bar 59 - Score correct
    5. 1st Trom - Bar 13 - 1st Quaver beat 4 C natural as score
    6. Eb Bass - Bar 24 - staccato dots missing on score
    7. Percussion - Bar 62 - score correct - cymbal hangs through.

1. Solo Horn - Bars 18/19 add tenuto marks to score, Bar 35 add p to score
    2. Eb Bass - Bar 22 - Tranquillo remains in 4/4 time throughout
    3. Bb Bass - Bar 15 - 3rd beat should be C natural - part correct
    Bar 22 - Tranquillo remains in 4/4 time throughout, Bar 43 - Score correct - full notes

1. Sop - Bar 13 missing on part, should read as score
    2. Solo Cornet - Bar 43 - play rhythm as per part (as bar 47)
    3. Repiano - Bar 43 - play rhythm as per part (as bar 47) - Bars 59/60 as per score
    4. 1st Trom - Bar 13 - first quaver 4th beat C natural - as per score
    5. Bass Trom - Bars 38/53/54 add dots to score as parts
    6. Eb Bass - Bar 17 - crotchets sempre staccato to bar 32
    7. Bb Bass - Bar 17 - crotchets sempre staccato to bar 32 - Bar 53 - part is correct - is a cue only for Eb Bass part
    8. Percussion - Bar 38 - score correct.

NB: In all other errors the score is to be taken to be correct. All adjudicators will be informed of the above.

Once again, many thanks to R. Smith and Co. Limited and to our Regional Secretary for providing this information in good time.

12. imthemaddude

Thanks Roger very much appreciated by everyone I would have thought. I was trying to get hold of you about my earlier question but I'm please we now have an errata.
  13. 1alexm

1alexm Member

entertainments - a bad test piece

Hi. As you know the 3rd section test piece is entertianments and my conductor has noticed numerous mistakes on all parts, for example soprano has a bar missing, bar numbers have not been put , this is why i think entertainments is a bad test piece, i think the music is good but it should not have so many mistakes with it being a test piece.:mad:
  14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

So, if there were one sentence missing in a book - that would make it a bad book yeah...? Or if there were one scene missing from a film - it would therefore be a bad film yeah...?

Not the best way to decide if a piece of music is a bad piece of music in my opinion. If you had only heard the piece, and had not known there were some errors in the published copies, what would you have thought of it then? Of course, you may like it, you may not like it - but determining if you like it based on what you hear - which after all is how a piece of music is supposed to be evaluated - is the right way to determine if you like it or not. Not by errors in publlication.

You might want to rethink your approach? or at least argue with me.:biggrin:
  15. 1alexm

1alexm Member

good point:D
  16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I think a search on the word errata and entries by me might be a useful exercise... it demonstrates how tMP handled this very issue for the last regional contest.
  17. 1alexm

1alexm Member

my conductor said that he managed to do 12 pages worth of errata for entertainments.
  18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

The you can be of service to the movement and post the errors discovered on this forum.
  19. imthemaddude

Maybe I can be of help. Just search for the last weeks posts and you will have your answers. I also included the errata from the publishers straight after I had been on the phone to them and then Roger very kindly finished off by posting the offical errata from their regional committee which I thought was a lovely idea and would have saved your conductors time when compliling the twelve pages. Maybe you would then be just as kind to help us out with the twelve pages just incase we have missed anything.
  20. dyl

dyl Active Member

To save us having a page's worth of people recommending others to search, I've merged both threads as they were esentially dealing with the same subject.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.