Entertainments Contests - Unregistered bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Jun 2, 2005.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Ok I'm doing some research on entertainment contests and I’m trying to collate a list of where and when they take place. Would also be interested to know if unregistered bands are allowed to play or not. This is the list I have so far so if you can add to this it would be appreciated.

Yeovil – Championship Section bands only
    Milton Keynes - ?
    Crawley Scaba -registered bands only
    Ripon - unregistered bands allowed
    Belvoir Castle NEMBBA - ?
    Dukeries, NEMBBA Welbeck Estate nr Worksop - ?
    Teesdale - unregistered bands allowed
    Rotherham, Magna Centre - ?
    Hardraw – unregistered bands allowed
    Lakeside near Mansfield (Macarthur Glen Shopping Outlet) - ?
    Buxton - ?
    Exmouth - unregistered bands allowed
    Whychavon – registered bands only
    Malton - unregistered bands allowed
  2. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Taking place this weekend
    June 4th Ripon Entertainment (unregistered allowed)
    June 5th DLI entertainment contest (new this year Durham association Bands only)

then off the top of my head
    July Teasdale Entertainment contest (Barnard Castle)(unregistered allowed)

and Wansbeck entertainment contest. Time of year varies. registered bands only
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

SCABA Entertainment Contest Crawley

US Open Arlington Hts, IL
    (sort of registered)
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Exmouth Entertainment Contest (early september)
    No registration required.
  5. lister89

lister89 Member

Malton, whilst it is a really good contest and a fab day out, is no longer and entertainment contest. It's now an open choice concert programme, including a solo and march, it's not actually changed but it's not called an entertainment contest anymore. It's definately worth going to, Malton's a lovely place :) There are 3 sections:

Class A - Championship - 2nd Section
    Class B - 3rd and 4th Section
    Class C - Unregistered Bands

6. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

june Kirkby Brass on the march contest, ran by Newstead and Kirkby bands
  7. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I thought Teesdale contest was in Middleton??? I'm not sure mind, not been since I was about 12!

Francis - The contesting question lingers on then.....!!! ;)
  8. zak

zak Member

U seem to have missed the biggest and the best one off your list -- Spennymoor Brass In Concert at the Sage theatre in Gateshead on 20th November!!!!

9. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Thanks Pat!! You beat me to it!

I'm curious what you mean by "sort of registered" though. Since we really don't have band registrations in the US like the UK does, I think it's fair to say that the US Open takes unregistered bands.

10. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

doesn't tameside have an entertainment contest?
  11. gateway

gateway New Member

What about The Youth Entertainment Contest held in February at Blackpool
  12. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

It used to be but I know certainly this year it's moved
  13. postie

postie Member

A new entertainment contest is being held on September the 11th at The Lakeside which is just of north of Nottingham on the A60 road to Mansfield.
  14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Looks like it - but I've recently been reading the John Nash story about Games Theory (A Beautiful Mind) - it doesn't have to be a zero-sum game - co-operation and mutual benefits can be obtained via non adversarial postions.

Of course I could be just getting enough information to shoot the opponents down in flames ;) .
  15. persins

persins Member

Just to be pedantic, Yeovil Contest is not just Championship section bands only. It is actually invite only but generally only Championship section bands have been invited. Bournemouth Concert Brass were invited when they were officially classed as 1st Section (they had finished 5th I think in the previous year).
    I think they have proved their point though by winning the Championship section in the West at the first attempt since returning to the Championship section.
  16. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

I havnt read all this but I know theres a contest in leicester sometime over autumn/winter time, but i dont know if its for unregistered bands or not.
    I guess this is a pretty useless unhelpful post really!! Oh well I tried!
  17. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Whit Friday marches are open to unregistered bands and can be extremely entertaining!
  18. I think the one at Magna is by invite only, but don't quote me. Think the past couple of years it's only been rotherham bands only, i.e Maltby, Dinnington and Thurcroft.
  19. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

While there is no formal registration for the U.S. Open (remember you have to pay your NABBA dues by Feb 1st or what not to be 'registered' with your band even though there is no registration card), for the U.S. Open it does ask that everybody be a bona fide member of the band they play with. So I'm thinking, they don't really want day transfers, although if push came to shove, it probably wouldn't be a problem.