Entertainment contets????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by super_sop, Sep 7, 2003.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if anybody on here can tell me what an adjudicator is looking for in an entertainment contes.

Is it the programme :?:

is it the playing :?:

how do you pick a progranmme for it :?: do you play a programme that would entertain the adjudicator, or the audiance :?:

I know this is a strange subject :oops: but hey tell me what you think :!:
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Just competing in an entertainment contest yesterday in Exmouth- the adjudicator is looking for all the things that he/she would expect in any contest... A lot of bands do actually forget this little point!

A programme is more interesting if it has a variety of styles... not just really loud stuff, or really quiet stuff; variety... and making it musical!

The programme is for both audience AND adjudicator; after-all, the adjudicator IS in the audience, and always is part of it, no-matter what the contest is!

Always better if there's a bit of comedy in it as well; whether it be dressing up a bit and/or doin some funny jokes, whatever...

Entertainment contest means you entertain!

3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I've seen some great examples of that especially by the Flowers Band!

A good entertainment program is quite simply one that would have been a good concert!

One of the most important things about an entertainment contest which is often forgot by many bands is get a good compare!! Whether the MD does it, one of the players or a band supporter. The audience like to know what you are listening to and gaining a rapport with the audience (and therefore adjudicator as Naomi rightly says!) is a big points bonus.

A good programme is one that is 1. Varied, 2. Played well and 3. Enjoyed by the band too! The great thing about entertainments contests is that you can pick pieces that really suit the band performing. Use a bit of psychology... if you look like you are having a great time and doing well the adjudicator is a lot more likely to think that as too! The worse thing you can do on the stage at an entertainments contest is curse if you play a bit wrong because everyone will see it (and if you were lucky the adjudicator may have missed it anyway!! :lol: I)If you have picked the right pieces for the bands ability then the band is a lot more likely to put on a more solid performance.

you can never tell what the adjudicator is looking for piece wise (he might just hate or love the pieces you chose) that is simply down to luck.

To stop waffling chose pieces that you band CAN PLAY and ENJOY PLAYING! (those things you can control)!
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I agree that a good compere can enhance a programme, but on the other hand a bad one can scupper it completely. . . and don't forget that some of the most successful entertainments programes have gone through with no introductions at all.
  5. leisa

leisa Active Member

Comedys the best way to go!!

SSBB di one last year and we played "2001b The Oblique one" which we thought was hilarious - it involves making strage sounds down instruments (admittedly some of us do that anyway) and roaring at the end and whilst we were in fits at the end the audience just sat their straight faced! we then played riverdance singing at the beginnin which we thought might go down quite well (considerin our singing) but this didn't either!

the bands that won did singin in the rain dancin about the sta ge. Nellie the Elephant!?!?! dressed as elephants and the circus piece thing (cant remember name!! and they had tight ropes. whilst we did quite well for music we didn't get placed for entertainment!
  6. onedrummeruk

onedrummeruk Member

This is what I don't get about contests, CONTESTS (generally) DON't PAY

Concerts are more important as thats where the band revenue comes from, so why should you need to make a "special effort" for entertainments contests, surely you should be doing that on regular concerts anyway, and therefore should know what works and doesnt work with an audience.
  7. Naomi McFadyen

well yes you would have thought that, naturally
  8. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

I agree with Sparkling Quavers. I remember going to an Entertainment Contest and a band played an old test piece and I didn't find it particularly entertaining because it went on a bit too long. After all the playing, the adjudicator mentioned something like choosing pieces that will "entertain" and not bore the audiance - I certainly agreed with him on that one!
  9. leisa

leisa Active Member

we usually gfo for 2entertaining pieces (comedy), a solo feature, march and then if we have enuf time a hyme tune!
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Leisa's post highlights one of the shortcomings of an entertainments contest, and one of the differences between that and a concert - the truncated time-scale. Whilst I agree with onedrummeruk that a concert should be designed to entertain the audience, there is much more scope within a concert with two 45-minute halves, separated by an interval, to vary the content.

It strikes me that many entertainments contests feature a much higher proportion of "novelty" items than you would expect to find, or than an audience would want in an ordinary concert, where there is much more opportunity to include more substantial "serious" content and original repertoire to provide a real contrast. Coming back to the question of the compere, even quite substantial pieces can be well received of they are introduced in the right way, to give the audience an idea of what to expect.
  11. leisa

leisa Active Member

Well i've never seen an elephant dancing round stage at a concert! lol! :shock:
  12. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Bearing in mind that the contest is adjudicated by a musician, isn't it likely that the best musical performance is more likley to make an impression on the adjudicator than an ok performance with a comedy act?
    Saying that the programme has to be entertaining or else your flogging a dead horse!

don't know it anyone agrees, but its what i think!
  13. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Don't hold your breath - Remember Wychavon last year!

14. Naomi McFadyen

oo, I'm curious, what happened?
  15. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I always think the most important aspects of an entertainments contest programme are the same as a regular concert. Your opener and finisher are, to me, the pieces that matter most. Opening well sets out your stall and implies it's a band worth listening to, and a good finisher leaves a lasting impression. As for comedy elements, Andy Lord employs these in our regular concerts anyway... although we don't usually have any control over it! :roll:
  16. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Let's just say that the bands with the biggest "funny hats and false moustaches" received the prizes.

17. Naomi McFadyen

heheheh... gotcha ;-)
  18. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

At the Ripon Enertainment contest they have one adjudicator who awards 75% of the marks. He is there to judge the music. They also have 2 members of the public who award the remaining 25% of the marks. They judge entertainment and deportment
  19. Naomi McFadyen

thats quite a good idea