Entertainment contests

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BIG Paul, Dec 16, 2007.

1. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

our band would like to take part in entertainment contests next year. Can anyone give me details of any entertainment contests.
  2. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Buxton is a good one. I think it's in May.
  3. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Is buxton entertainment?
  4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

not as far as I'm aware, i thought it was an own choice contest.

Hi Paul, you can't go far wrong with the Wychaven festival of brass.
    this year it was on 16th of September, although i believe they have altered it for next year 2008.

its a really good contest, with some fabulous prize money:tup
  5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Here's a link to the festival contest.
    Nice new website btw!!!!

Oh and the dates for 2008!!!

21st September 2008
    The Wychavon Festival of Brass Entertainment Contest
    Pershore, Worcestershire
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  6. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Thanks craig, we know about Wychavon, and I think last years buxton was on the same date as Wychavon, was really looking for other times of the year than September.
  7. postie

postie Member

Hi Paul,
    Three for you,NEMBBA are holding there Entertainiment contest on the 13th of July next year at Rufford Park north of Nottingham the way it will work is there will be 2 sections one for 1st and 2nd section bands and another for 3rd and 4th section bands. Also Ireland Colliery hold there Battle of the Bands contest in June in Staveley Chesterfield, I think IJK has recently posted on the dates for that. Also probably one at Shirebrook this one takes place in October.
  8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Don't forget Yeovil, US Open and Crawley.
  9. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

10. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Yes... That's why I suggested it young man! There is an own choice contest held there too if that's what your thinking of. :)
  11. Masterblaster jnr

ah right, just thought it was just the one. It was when i went a few years ago. It's just you said they were in may and that's when i thought the test piece contest was, well, actually, i think it is isn't it.
  12. postie

postie Member

I think the entertainment contest at Buxton has been discontinued due to the sponsor pullling out.
  13. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I think you're right; didn't it used to be sponsored by the Co-op?

The own choice contest was/is in May as far as I remember, with the entertainments contest in September
  14. Lna

Lna Member

Ripon entertainment contest - normally around end of May. Open to 3rd, 4th and unregistered bands. Performance in Ripon Cathedral. Prizes for 3 places, best hymn, march and soloist. 10 band limit.
  15. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

That's a major shame... I loved going there...A ride on the tiny train..game of football...listening to the inevitable of all the bands play at least one of the same pieces!:clap:
  16. Flugelfrank

Flugelfrank Member

maybe the Survento brass contest in Holland:))
    nice trip for the band!
  17. Soil Lover

Soil Lover Member

Just to help clarify the Buxton Contest situation for you,

May (1st Sunday I think) - Own Choice Contest - run by High Peak district of NWABBA - Contact Shirley Woodward :clap:

Sept - Entertainments - Run by North West CoOp - no longer going due to Sponsor changing its approach to helping banding :frown:

Another entertainments not yet mentioned would be the Malton contest held in November
  18. Masterblaster jnr

A band could confuse the audience by playing Entertainments :confused: :-? :confused: :-?
  19. Just curious how does an entertainment contest work?
    Is it basically turn up and play something different to entertain?

Is there a lot of musical demand in these contests?

20. Masterblaster jnr

Most i've been to has had 2 or more adjudicators, music and entertainment. I think the idea is to play the hardest, most entertaining music the best, and most entertaining