Entertaiment contest music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kirkie boy, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Kirkie boy

Kirkie boy New Member

Looking for some fresh ideas for several concerts and entertainment contests coming up in the near future. Any Ideas? Anyone have any good/new music in your band pads at the moment you would recomend?

Thanks in advance;)
  2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

For our last entertainments contest we did: malaguena, teddy bears picnic (bass solo), an SA arrangment of the hymn tune 'colne', big band style arrangement of 'hello dolly' and finished with goff richards' 'rock music III'.

I think it was a pretty good program and it went down well with the adjudicator and the audience!

Rock Music III is a good finisher- showy piece with lots of percussion and some good twiddly bits!
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

There are some great publishing sites advertised on here.

Take a mosey on down to The wonderfull Mr Thornes site, he has some pretty good music on there for you to have a listen to before you bye. http://www.thornesmusic.freeserve.co.uk/

I believe he has some new releases hes just published aswell.

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I really like it when bands do things like Windows of the World, Cry of the Celts, and things like that at entertainment contests... although I know there are some adjudicators who tend to give less marks for that than the traditional March, Hymn, Solo, Finale sort of set up...
  5. euphoria

euphoria Member

As good as many british bands are when testpieces are on the menu - as bad are the vast majority when it comes to entertainment contests. It is the same old pieces (or their soundalikes) that is being used over and over again (same goes for most gala concerts at the championships).

I like The lost chord and Cleopatra as much as the next guy, but I think you have to look abroad for some inspiration - Try Scandinavia, perhaps.

The norweigans have a vast heritage of folk music and they have no problems with giving them a contemporary vibe. There is no reason why you shouldn't use scandinavian music in britain - we have been playing your music for decades:)

There is at least one brit with an eye (or an ear) for the scandinavian music - and thats Ray Farr. A lot of his arrangements are very suitable for entertainment contests.

I know there are puritans that believe that a concert is only a treat for the ears and not for the eyes - I disagree. You don't have to perform a brass ballet in order to make a performance interesting to watch.

The danish Silkeblaes contest and the norweigan Siddis are contests that highlights this modern approach to banding (and a good choreographi can sometimes hide the fact that you don't play as well as YBS :oops: ).

Just my opinion though
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I totally agree with all this!! I really like the scandinavian approach to concerts and entertainment... I have to admit to often enjoying watching performances by bands like Stavanger more than those by our top bands...

Lynchie - Possibly a simpleton, but proud!
  7. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

Our MD has had out Final Countdown its awsome ! But things like Mack And Mable and Gaelforce go down well too !!!
    Got to agree though Rock Music III is a great piece of music
  8. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Amen on your opinion of Cleopatra and its ilk! I frequently wish we could declare brass bands a "Napoli"-free zone, at least for a year or two! Not that there's anything wrong with these classic solos but it seems everyone and their uncle plays them, and frankly I'd rather hear a new solo, even if it's not as "impressive", just to broaden the repertoire and give some variety.

I saw Stavanger perform in Little Rock, Arkansas last year, and their choreography in Hymn of the Highlands was fantastic! I also saw them a week later in Chicago as they did a mini-concert after Easter services at a Norwegian Lutheran church in the city, and they played several pieces that involved individuals or the whole band getting up and moving around in ways that added to the performance. It was an exciting show, and they deserve all the kudos that people give them.

On a similar note, While I'm not a proponent of turning brass bands into drum corps on stage, I think there is some inspiration to be had from drum corps and shows like "Blast!" (which was a product of drum corps). For one thing, the music is often viscerally exciting, and there are several decades worth of great drum corps charts out there which are just begging for brass band transcriptions. And for another, while we don't need a color line or dancers, there's no harm in adding to the visual excitement and even the musical impact of our performances through well-thought-out movement.

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

They key to a brillant entertainment contest program can be summed up in 6 words...
    "Spike Jones and the City Slickers"

I only wish I could dep for the band that does that!!!!!!!!!!
  10. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Best bet is to listen to as many bands as possible at a few entertainment contests an try to make a note of the ones you like and that you think would work for your band.

Best make sure you get to Whychavon next weekend then;)
  11. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

I see bandsman of the year for WEM passing you way Craig...... :rolleyes:
  12. tartanbrass

tartanbrass New Member

Have you thouht about the classic Alan Fernie original 'Special K'??

JOCKBLAST! Member

Thats enough of that kind of talk Tartanbrass!!!
    You and I are both aware that not only is the Band
    movement not ready, but the World has enough to deal with
    right now without the implications of performing
    the "Scottish" march!!!!
    The very THOUGHT.
  14. Kirkie boy

Kirkie boy New Member

Hey Jockblast I hear that youve got a wee boabie?????
  15. Boneman

Boneman Member

A piece we got recently which we think is a great entertainment piece is 'The Muppet Show' arrangted by Philip Harper - a little cracker!

JOCKBLAST! Member

No No Kirkie boy that was someone relating that you are a wee boabie!!!!!
    Don't you worry ya Ginger *****r mines vastly average!!!!
    It's your round!
  17. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

Riverdance is a awesome piece, especially the rep part and sop at the end of the picec, it's a big blow for the whole band. I also love Soul Bossa Nova, louie louie, satin doll, wipeout, tequila, gonna fly now, theme from swat and Hawaii 50!!!!!!!!!!! YEs.....they are all brass band arrangements, they are heaps of fun and sound really good!!!!!!!!!
  18. brass journo

brass journo Member

If you want a cracking finisher then the Fugue from Graduation Day by Philip Sparke is a cracker!
  19. highlander

highlander New Member

I totally agree with you. British bands should try out some of our fine scandinavian music. There are lots of beautiful music to play. Norway is the country in scandinavia with most composers and arrangers but donĀ“t forget
    Sweden and Denmark.