Ensemble Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WhatSharp?, Apr 26, 2004.

1. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Does anyone have suggestions for good 10 piece music?, for both light concerts and contests. Have been very tempted by the London Brass series but would like to know from those who've played it as to whether it's any good or not.
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

London Brass series is a bit like the Curate's Egg, good in parts (IMHO). Some very good arrangements spoilt by some impossible to read writing! (Notably Chris Mowat's arrangement of Clair de Lune and Roger Harvey's arrangement of Carmen Suite) Do you live or work near the West End of London? Boosey and Hawkes in Regent Street have a sale on at the mo, and most of the brass stuff is going fairly cheap, even the London Brass stuff.

Some corking arrangements, though. Amongst my favourites:

We Three Kings (needs full percussion) arr, John Iveson - originally recorded by the PJBE on their album 'Noel'

Ding Dong Merrilly on High arr. Roger Harvey

The aforementioned Clair de Lune and Carmen Suites if you can forgive the poor printing.

Joshua Fit de Battle of Jericho arr. Roger Harvey - jazzy type trumpet solo

Pie Jesu from Requiem - Faure arr. Roger Harvey

Muss I Denn - arr. Richard Bissill

Send in the Clowns (Sondheim arr. Roger Harvey - flugel solo)

And from the Chester Just Brass series (if it's still going....)

A Londoner In New York - Jim Parker

Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 - Bach arr. Chris Mowat

And from Rakeway

Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 arr. Howard Snell

If you're interested in getting some cheap LB stuff (whilst the sale's still going) let me know and I'll let you know what they've got.

I'll shut up now.
  3. I'll tell him! :p

That's wicked, particularly the top Es for French horn!

& I can't believe you forgot KRAKEN! Part of the three brass cats I believe.
  4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

anything that has pjbe stamped on the front is definately worth a look
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, top E flats!

Kraken is also Chester Just Brass (all the brass cats are well worth getting! Borage is my favourite!). I didn't forget it, but it's been in the repertoire for a long time. Steve was mainly referring to the London Brass series from BrassWind Publishing. ;-)
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Absolutely. From their 10 piece repertoire...

Kraken and all other brass cats!

The Earle of Oxford's Marche (Byrd/Howarth)

Londonderry Air (arr. Iveson - trombone solo)

Stardust (Carmichael/Iveson - Horn solo, playable on tenor horn)

to mention but a few (sorry if I forgot any! ;-)
  7. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Thanks for the advice, one problem I have found is that many sites don't specifiy the instruments used, for example the French Horn part, does it have an optional Tenor horn transcription?, also is it 4 trumpets 4 Trombones, Tuba and Horn? or BB style (3 Cornets, 2 Horns, Euph, Bari, 2 x Trombone, Tuba), etc.... (Also any Sop part?)

Oh well the search continues, just goes to show no substitute for browsing by hand!, might have to start arranging at this rate (shudder).

Out of Interest does anyone know if The Royal Fireworks has been done as a 10 piece?, love to do that one (play that is not arrange!).
  8. jo

jo Member

I am pretty sure that harlequin have played a 10 piece version of royal fireworks (of course I could be mistaken...memory is not what it used to be!). I dont think any of them stray on to this site but I know matt knowles still plays for stocksbridge band so you might be able to contact him through them.
    good luck!
  9. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I arranged it to use at the SCABA ensemble contest many years ago. I can't remember the instrumentation offhand (but it's all BB instruments) and it is all in pre-Sibelian spidery script, but if I can find it you're welcome to a copy.

10. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Spooky coincidence, guess what I'm think of using it for :D

Thanks that would be great! (I can even get HBB to Sibelius it if you like!)
  11. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Now that does sound good! I'll have a dig around later on and let you know...

12. Bones

Bones Member

I used the play/manage a 10 piece brass group, and one of our trumpet players and a mate of mine Frank Stubbs (a pro in Birmingham) arranged la Rejouissance for my wedding. It was a good arrangement as well. I will be returning the favour, cos for his wedding I will be arranging the stag night.

Seriously Frank is a very talented arranger, and I do believe he sells some of his arrangements/compositions. If you PM me I will forward his phone number and email address. They are typically written for the classical ten piece group 4 tpts, 1 fHorn, 3 ttbn, 1 btbn, 1 tb.

13. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Surely not the same Frank Stubbs that does all the crazy playing on Parkinson? (Glasses, often drunk...) If so, he is a great player, and nifty arranger too. :)
  14. HBB

HBB Active Member

I hope you're paying Steve!!
  15. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Spot the clause in your sig "All Round Good Guy" means you do it for nowt :D ;D
  16. Bones

Bones Member

He's the guy who has done back row for you a few times as well I believe. Used to share a house with Steve "Ginga" Bailey
  17. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Yep, he's the guy. Both him and Bailey (and Steve Lee, another top lad) are all nutters when you give them an instrument.