Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by JesTperfect!, Apr 17, 2008.

1. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I'm considering getting my name engraved on my cornet-a few questions:

1. Is this ridiculously geeky?!
    2. Is it stupid?!
    3. Anyone else had it done-are they happy with result?
    4. Can anyone recommend someone to do it? The last thing I want is for it to end up looking awful, I don't think I'd ever get over it! My poor cornet!
    Any advice, etc much appreciated!
  2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

It's your cornet to do with as you wish - but the resale value will plummet, unless you sell it to someone with the same name( or you become an internationally renowned virtuoso).
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

I vaguley remember someone getting this done when i was at school, but i dont think they were that keen on it afterward!

Just think as well it's expense for something that i don't really think is worth it, depending how big you want it engraved and whereabouts on your cornet you want it engraved, would it actually be visable to anyone else except you? Noone else would probably get close enough to see it and even if they did is there much point in it?! Plus it's not going to make much difference to what sound comes out of it!

Also like the person above said if you decide to sell it you would either have to pay to have it laquered over again or sell it to someone with the same name...which might be a bit tricky!

I suppose if its something you wanted to spend your money on then fair enough, i can think of better things i would spend my money on though! (CLOTHES!!!) :)
  4. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Which quite clearly is going to happen...............!!

I figure I'm not going to want to sell it ever. Why would I?! It's a xeno after all!!
  5. leisa

leisa Active Member

Well you didnt say THAT!! Quite clearly the best instrument ever! (I still wouldnt engrave it though, you dont want to ruin its beauty!! ;) )
  6. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I got my name and the year engraved on the bottom plate of my EEb Bass when I got it in 1993.
  7. BrianT

BrianT Member

Xeno Cosmetic Surgery...

I'd resist the temptation.

The process of engraving will expose the underlying brass by perforating the lacquer or plating. Over time the surrounding lacquer will peel, and/or the exposed brass will go darker than the surrounding lacquered/plated region. It'll stop looking so nice. And because the dark bit is below the surrounding metal it's hard to polish it away.

There are other ways of personalising the instrument without resorting to engraving it - you could buy (or make!) a valve cuff (I had a nice green one for years made from an off-cut of baize from a billiard table!), or buy some coloured valve caps. Or get your favourite mouthpiece engraved or replated instead, or and then shot-blasted to give it a nice matte surface texture...
  8. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Now THAT is an interesting idea.

Tell me-mine is plastic coated - just the rim - because I have an allergy to nickel.
    What is 'shot-blasted' and would it still work on a plastic-ed mouthpiece?
  9. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Shot-blasting is shooting small metal (usually steel) beads at something under high pressure. "Shot" as in a shotgun shell. The impact of the beads makes a texture on the surface (and also compresses a metal surface, making it harder and less flexible - shot-blasting is often used on aircraft engine parts for this effect).

I'd imagine that shot-blasting a plastic rim would be a really excellent method of making that rim disappear.
  10. Unicorn Uniques

Unicorn Uniques New Member

Unicorn Uniques

I am an engraver, and for all the good reasons sent in by members is why musical instruments are the item that I engrave the least of, unless its a design that beautifies the article but remains non personal. The majority of people who want this type of work done, mainly for identification puposes, are satisfied with having a brass or silver plate made and engraved then either mounted or inset into the instrument's box. If done well it can look pretty impressive and later, if sold, can be removed and replaced by a blank plate for the next owner.
  11. Di

Di Active Member

Oooorrr have some valve caps made with a J, E, & S or J, E & two S's interwoven if you don't want Jes with one S, or three initials?
  12. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Our solo Euph player got his name engraved on the mouthpiece shank of his Euph when he got a new Sterling one last year. It is the endless source of ribbing and mick taking, poor Robbo!

Personally, I'm quite happy being called Besson.......

Seriously, go for it if you want to but be prepared to be ribbed silly by your "band mates" in jest and banter and also if you ever need to sell it then you might have trouble shifting it...
  13. Just put a sticker on it... that will do the job
  14. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Thanks Saggers.......shall we test the theory on your cornet first?!
  15. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

You can get a flexable mounting Block and engrave the block ( only about .5 mm thick ) and mount it on the instrument. It can be removed later if need be without damage to instrument.