English Nationals....

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by scotchgirl, May 30, 2008.

1. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

so...who's going...have you done it before...what do you think of the piece...etc etc etc?

I didn't see a thread, so if there is one already, can someone bump it for me?...otherwise...post ahead!

2. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Black Dyke
    Brighouse and Rastrick
    Carlton Main Frickley Colliery
    Foden's Richardson
    Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal)
    Hepworth Cookson Homes Band
    Mount Charles
    Redbridge Brass
    Reg Vardy
    Rothwell Temperance
    The Fairey Band

The bands which are going

I went when it was at the Lowry when my dad was at Hepworth, but that hall was massive. Couldn't hear a thing, especially not in the cornet bit in the middle from where i was sat.
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having picked up the score last week, on a first glance through there seem to be a few tricky passages to negotiate. There are certainly plenty of black notes to be played, and fitting it together could be a bit tricky. No major complications over changing time signatures etc or extreme range. Tuba/euph sextet could present an interesting challenge a la Corpus Christi, and there looks to be some nice section work for horns and baritones.
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

The horn parts are actually something meaty that we can get our teeth into! On second run through it's actually quite a nice piece despite some interesting orchestration and bad chords.
  5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I'm doing it for the first time this year. Haven't seen the music yet, but I'm guessing the trom parts will be just as exciting as Isiah 40 (ie. not at all!).

I've never been to Preston in my life (where have I been?). What's parking like at the Guildhall? Any good food at the venue? Nice pubs?
  6. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Well, we are going, and we've had a couple of rehearsals on the piece. I really like it, although my part is practically non-existent (2nd baritone - 2 and a half sides, with mostly bars rest lol!).

There are some really interesting uses of instrumentation, and the ensemble work is gonna really sort the wheat from the chaff....there are also some nasty sections to play for the horns and 1st bari...really fast semis in the 12/8 section...

I like it though, and hopefully we'll do okay, although given the line-up of bands I suspect that we are gonna be the toilet-break band lol!
  7. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

There is always one band for me, I hope that they will win it. Be good to see them at the European again. I am a 'Dyke' fan, through and through. I like a lot of other bands to, hope they do well and everyone else involved, but for me, its Black Dyke everytime.
  8. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

there's a multistorey car park right next door, so parking isn't a problem.

pubs surround the guildhall, and as the guildhall is in the city centre, there's pizza hut, macdonalds, and many other restaurants around, so you'll find some grub and summat to wash it down with easy enough!

had a run through the piece the other night. not sure what i think of it yet to be honest.
  9. leisa

leisa Active Member

I am going to erm 'watch'. It was much better when it was at the Lowry (that one time) though...

Good luck to everyone whose playing
  10. weenie

weenie Member

For the first time in years I'm actually having to practice a percussion part (temple blocks at beginning):)..........anyone else having a good go at this??
  11. Delbert

Delbert Member

Weenie - yep this is my part too... tricky little few bars!!

We're still in need of a tuned perc player too for this contest - if there is anyone out there fancies a trip to Preston????

Let me know!!!
  12. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

Tiny bit more exciting with some fast work required for the tongue in the 12/8 bit :tongue: , guess it depends how quick each MD takes it, but it should be pretty fast. Bags of stamina required for the first bit as well. :redface: :redface: :redface:
  13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

That's me sacked then!
  14. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Those who have played it, is the piece any good?
  15. Bluebander

Bluebander New Member

I reckon this question'll get a mixed response!
  16. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I really like this piece actually, it has some gorgeous melodic passages, as well as some tricky ensemble stuff.

There is a good range of dynamics and tempos, with some really difficult sections technically.

A 'something for everyone' type of piece I think....
  17. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

I would say yes, its a grower, but, one of those pieces where you can detect snippets of other works dotted around. You sit there thinking 'dum de dum de dum de dum, what piece is that from???' :confused:

Also no big finish, just a gradual dim to pp or something like that. Never like those sort of endings but will still be a challenge for different reasons!
  18. Rodney

Rodney Member

Um....please 'scuse my ignorance, but what actually is "the piece" and who's pen is it from.

19. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

The piece is a new one called 'Infinity' and is by Robert Redhead (who also wrote Isiah 40)....
  20. timps

timps Member

I am helping Polysteel out on percussion and it will be my first contest since 1999, so concentrating at band on Monday was ****** hard work, the curry afterwards made up for it! :)

Anyway, I think the piece is going to grow into a cracker of a test piece, roll on the 28th!!