English Nationals 2012

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Matt the Baritone, Jun 6, 2012.

1. critic

critic Member

spoton rob

2. tkhbss

tkhbss Member

Well, perhaps there should be open adjudication and bands would be told that mis-use of mutes would be penalised? As far as turning the bell away from the audience to get a quiter effect, I fail to see why this is considered cheating. I think it works, even if on a psychological level, for all of the players to focus on playing quietly and this is surely not cheating.

Some of the other comments, people don't like Wilby's music (I know this is personal preference) and think European music is not tuneful should have heard the crowds at Rotterdam who cheered, with standing ovations, all of the performances of the set test and the own choices of every band - a full hall.

3. ChrisHatch

ChrisHatch Member

I don't agree that changing direction is cheating - it seems perfectly sensible to me.

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

You may think so, but I can assure you that you are wrong.

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Seriously???? Then I guess there's either two posters with the same name on here, or your intentions are very different from what you're actually writing and we're perceiving....
    etc etc..... :rolleyes:

6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Disdain for contests? Yes. Wonderment at why people do it? Yes. Disrespect for them? No.

I hope that's clear.

7. simonium

simonium Member

Can you two just get a room somewhere please? There's cheating and duff results to be discussed here! :)

8. :clap:

9. boourns

boourns Member

I go to a contest like the English Nationals to hear some of my favourite pieces played live by the very best bands, playing to the best of their ability. I don't much care who wins or loses, but apparently I'm not there to enjoy the "music for it's own sake", whatever that may mean.

10. critic

critic Member

I Agree entirely with your sentiments you enjoyed your day listening to some of your favourite pieces with all eight bands making a great contribution both on own choice and set work.the result came seccond for you its allabout enjoyment. when music becomes a sport we lose all sense of what we are supposed to be about

11. boourns

boourns Member

However, there's an argument to be made that the sporting element is necessary to achieve the levels of performance witnessed at such contests. With the greatest will in the world, there is no way these bands put the same level of rehearsal and attention to detail into a concert at Walton-on-the-Naze Civic Hall as they would for, say, the British Open.

So perhaps those who go only to concerts, to appreciate "music for it's own sake", are missing out.

12. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

I suspect they also attend concerts given by other groups, groups that are not as hung up on contesting as UK brass bands are, groups that are glad to put their big efforts into their concert programmes.

A second point is that, such is the pressure at these big contests, often the performance standards fall short of what the band is capable of.

13. tkhbss

tkhbss Member

Isn't it this element of brass banding which keeps the vitality going and encourages younger people to take it up? Without the "sport" side of brass bands, there would not be the same appeal to the younger members I am sure, and the standards of playing are also improved by getting one piece up to such a great standard which rubs off on other playing - so concerts are also better!

14. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

I wasn't arguing against contesting... It has pros and cons.

15. boourns

boourns Member

I think other genres should be encouraged to try it. If the LSO competed regularly against the Berlin Phil, Chicago Symphony, Vienna Phil et al then just think how much better they'd all get...

16. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Preusmably you missed a wink or tongue in cheek emotion from this.....if not, add one fast!!!

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

I noticed the other day that the Manx Music Festival has competitive bible reading classes, and felt a little bit reassured about my own personal sanity.

18. boourns

boourns Member

I thought I'd see if I got any takers first :tup

It's an interesting idea though, although I'm unsure who you'd get to adjudicate, and whether they'd be happy to sit in a box.

"Ladies and gentlemen, orchestra number 5 are now ready to commence their performance. They have chosen to play Pelleas und Melisande by Arnold Schoenberg. On your signal, Mr adjudicator..."

19. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

"Ladies and gentlemen, orchestra number 1 is ready to give the first of 22 performances of Mahler Symphony No 5. There will be a short comfort break after band 22 before the own choice section commences."

20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Active Member

I bet they'd then get Mozart 40 for the final. Typical old brown music, nothing in it for trombones, tuba, harps, percussion, etc. etc., but harder than it looks :)