English National Contest The Lowry, Manchester

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Royal Sussex, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Royal Sussex

Royal Sussex New Member

Can anybody tell me please what bands will be competing?

All the best

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Is this the one on 1st July?
  3. Royal Sussex

Royal Sussex New Member

Yes - thats the one. I have seen various mentions of it but I cant find a list of competing bands unfortunately.
  4. Di

Di Active Member

I can't find any listings for this one either. The only announcement I've found states "Fourteen invited bands - comprising the highest ranked bands in the country". As the rankings are constantly changing, I don't know what date they chose to sit and look at the list and select the bands to invite. :dunno
  5. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

List of competing bands:-

Bournemouth Concert Brass
    Brighouse and Rastrick
    Fairey FP (Music)
    Fodens Richardson
    Hepworth (Persimmon Homes)
    Mount Charles
    Polysteel (Flowers)
    Redbridge Brass
    Reg Vardy
    Sellers International
    Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass

posted on THIS thread
  6. Royal Sussex

Royal Sussex New Member

Thanks very much indeed for your help. And Matt "Newly appointed Musical Director of Brighton & Hove City Brass" many congratulations on the appointment. My home town,

All the best

7. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

You're welcome David.

And - thanks very much - and if you play (as I can't tell from your profile!) drop in for a blow whenever you're in the area - you'll be made most welcome.

Topic - English National? You going? I am. Looking forward to it as well.
  8. TheMusicMan

Nice list of competing bands... I may be there myself having been asked by one band in the line-up if I might consider dusting off my cornet... eek!
  9. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Who would that be then John? :rolleyes:

Bit of way to YBS for rehearsals isn't it :eek::wink: ????
  10. TheMusicMan

Hehe Matt.... it's actually the one closest to me ;)
  11. Di

Di Active Member

Go on John, you know you want to.

*best Mrs Doyle*

go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on.... ;)
  12. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'll be there - might be looking for Gala Concert tickets as well ;)
  13. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I think im right in saying they invited the winners of the areas 05 and then the highest ranked after that. Correct me if im wrong though!
  14. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

There's a good line up of bands, a new teat piece, and as I stay all of about 15 minutes away it would be criminal if I didnt turn up! Providing I can get the day off work that is :-?
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- and to think I thought this wasn't a contest for dummies! ;)
  16. Steve

Steve Active Member

The winners of this contest will be the only entrants from England for the Euro's 2007!!!! Until Clause 69 is found of course where by any band can be invited at the drop of a hat! No Dyke or Grimey in the Euros ever again............hmmm.
  17. HBB

HBB Active Member

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It will be interesting to see whether it has any effect on which bands accept their invitations for next year's contest. I also wonder whether,in the long term, there may also be a knock-on effect in the appearance of continental bands: we've already seen bands withdraw because of the costs and difficulties getting to some of the venues, and without the opportunity of pitting themselves against what many would still perceive as the top bands in the world, we may see more of this.

It's also interesting to read that the Austrian band is reluctant to move up into the top section, not due to any lack of ability, but because the format does not appeal to them.
  19. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Why? All the other countries have the same system.
  20. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Ahem... :oops: So I cant spell, you know what I mean!