English Brass Band Association?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Frontman, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Frontman

Frontman Member

For several years now I have asked the same question, what is happening to our movement and who actually does anything to control or direct the English Brass Band movement?

With Mike Kilroy, Chairman of BBE stating that BBE will only support and not control, this leaves a huge amount of this movement in the hands of private business which is Kapital Promotions. Over the last twelve months we have realized that as far as Kapital are concerned it is like it or lump it. So what can we do?

We all know that Scotland and Wales have their own Associations which controls and direct their respective areas and as a result their movements are flourishing. Their own Championships are run correctly with enormous pride and a very understanding authority. As a result the top two bands in each Section of their Championships are invited to attend the Kapital Promotions National Finals exactly as the English Bands should.

Therefore is it not time for us to have an English Brass Band Association. An organisation built specifically to support Local Association Contests and to control and organize the English National Championships. This Contest will be based on a similar format to that run by Kapitol, only with the English Brass Band Association getting the benefits of the finance instead of putting it into a private business.

I believe that this contest, run properly with the correct support to the regional organisers and with the correct financial support would be a huge advantage and a huge step forward for the English Brass Band Movement.

However, this suggestion would need support from the Local Associations but more particular from the Brass Bands of England.
    What is your opinion? Are you happy with the status quo or are you looking for change?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Association
    English
    Brass Bands
    BBE
    Local Associations
  3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Without control or direction (or indeed a vision, a titular leader, a central administration, and a social purpose for the benefit of others on a national or international scale), it isn't a movement at all. So the answers to the two questions you pose are 'nothing' and 'no' respectively. What people mistake for a UK movement is in fact a collection of individuals and autonomous groups with a common interest - no more, no less.

Or, as Bram Gay once put it when asked about the British brass band movement, "let me know the next time it moves".

Sorry I'm in cracked record mode again, but I've had an idle afternoon and was bored!

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Of course, the answer to the second of Mr Ashworth's questions should have been 'nobody' and not 'no' as I originally said. Apologies for the error.

5. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

So that would be 6 bands in the National Finals then ?

Personally not sure I like the idea of an "organisation" controlling and directing me.

I bet conductors would get involved for a start !

Citizen Bob

6. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

I`ve been advocating English banding detaching itself from the British National for years, most English banders can`t see further than the end of bell-ends and the rest probably don`t know the difference between English and British!

7. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

In my opinion the BBE should be there to support grassroots banding NOT to run an elite level contest. If the organization shows its worth bands and individuals will join. If it can't demonstrate why its worth joining it will die.

8. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

And what would they do, just trucking money at them is pi**ing in the wind

9. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Why not both, most other banding nations do.

10. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Cos we already have an established national contest and the elite bands didn't want one. Any contest will die I'd the bands don't want it!

How about the BBE put on events in every region and commission concert works (of varying degrees of difficulty)from non brass band composers. Much more use than a contest no one wants.

Ps and allow individual membership as well as bands!

11. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

We have a privately owned British National not a multi-sectional English one which the OP`er was bemoaning.
    Like it or not contesting is our raison d`etre, hence every other banding nation (apart from England!) having a national body that is involved in the administration of contesting in its sphere of influence. A BBE as you describe has little or no future, IMO.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Association
    English
    Brass Bands
    BBE
    Local Associations
  13. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

not the first time you have stated this as a fact - it isn't, it is an opinion which many do not share

14. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

I can`t think of any other amateur form of music making where the urge to compete against other is so organised and generally given such a priority.The British Band tradition has been exported worldwide, most if not all have adopted our contesting habit as far as I can see and then organised themselves with contesting as a priority.
    I do get that there are many in our hobby who go nowhere near a contest hall, but when their bands stop describing themselves as 'non-contesting' when they advertise for new players, I`ll concede your point.
    As before, we`ll have to agree to disagree.:)

15. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

for the vast majority of bands it is a fact, who was the band recently who said they were no longer contesting? how long did they last?

even SA bands are forming contesting outfits.

it's what makes brass bands stand out from ask other amateur music ensembles. it's way defines us ( well most of us anyway)

16. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Which is why the BBE needs to be something different to what we already have not a poorer version trying to compete with over 100 years of tradition/established contest.