England's Euro 2004 Squad

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MRSH, May 17, 2004.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Sorry footie again.

What do those footie fans amongst us think of Eriksson's squad then.

Goalkeepers: David James (Man City), Paul Robinson (Tottenham), Ian Walker (Leicester)

Defenders: Gary Neville (Man Utd), Phil Neville (Man Utd), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Sol Campbell (Arsenal), John Terry (Chelsea), Ledley King (Tottenham), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool).

Midfielders: David Beckham (Real Madrid), Paul Scholes (Man Utd), Nicky Butt (Man Utd), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Kieron Dyer (Newcastle), Joe Cole (Chelsea)

Strikers: Michael Owen (Liverpool), Emile Heskey (Liverpool), Darius Vassell (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Everton).

Standby: Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Richard Wright (Everton), Matthew Upson (Birmingham), Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough), Scott Parker (Chelsea), Alan Smith (Leeds).
  2. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

I'd take Upson OR Southgate ahead of King any day
  3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Is that THE squad then??

Absolutely gutted Woodgate isn't fit, i feel this could have been his time to really prove himself. Would have taken Scotty Parker over Dyer myself and Smith or Defoe over Heskey maybes...
  4. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Another fairly anonymous tournament beckons, then. Hurray! *in germany for half of it anyway*
  5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I think its the best squad he can muster. Just think it lacks goals, and also look at the amount of goals conceded by the three keepers.

But who knows, bring on France and lets hope we are surprised!
  6. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

You're forgetting the clause in the England manager's contract that says they MUST include at least one Tottenham player in the squad regardless of ability! :wink:
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Only hope Beckham can manage to get through a whole game without being sent off :wink:
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not sure about Upson, but Southgate should be ahead of King in the pecking order, but having said that, King did impress against Portugal in that friendly. Why Eriksson persists with Heskey I don't know. I wouldn't even put him in the squad. Alan Shearer would be preferable if he could be persuaded, even if he is 33!
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Odd that. After being sent off at World Cup 98, Beckham got his disciplinary act together. He's been sent off twice for madrid this season. And I thought the days when he would 'Loos' it were history! ;-)
  10. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Ah well. After seeing that squad, I think it's time for me to start going to church every day and pray like mad. :roll: :shock:
  11. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Have you seen him play recently? The fatigue is soooo evident, he's blown himself out this season. He needs the summer to recover so he can single handedly drag our strikeforce through the season one last time. If he hadn't retired internationally his career would have ended 2/3 seasons ago.

I mean if you want an alternative to Heskey, Shola for all his stumbling about is probably a better bet than the human carpet. At least he stays on his feet, they may get tangled up and he can't finish, but hey, neither can Emile!
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

GC. I made that suggestion knowing full well that AS wouldn't countenance such a move, but even fatigued, he'd still be a better bet than Heskey!
  13. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

I think Jermain Defoe deserved a look in instead of Heskey or Vassel who neither have played particulally well this season wheras Defoe has finished the season well at Totenham and could have gone into Euro 2004 on the back of that.
    Also anyone but phil neville Probablly woodgate. Shame Rio Ferdinand was suspended ay
    How bout Jon Stead. Straight from 3rd division into europe lol
  14. Well Worth It

So to business gentlemen.
    Pick your first XI.
    Mine would have to be along the lines of: 4-3-3
    G.Nev; Terry; Campbell; Bridge
    Lampard; Gerrard; Beckham
    Fat, Lazy, Diving, Gormless, (but big'n'strong, so Sven kisses his ass) Heskey; Owen; Vassell

Last season, Bridge lagged behind Cole in skills going forward, but playing regularly with this Chelsea side, I favour him to start ahead of Ashley.
    Both Lampard and Beckham can tackle, so sit Gerrard deep and allow Frank and David to surge forward, unless Gerrard fancies a forage, when the two wide guys pull a few yards inside to close the door behind him.

If you're aiming long balls up to the donkey and he only has one partner to aim for and 4 defenders to contend with, I don't think Heskey will prosper. If he has two pacey li'l guys like Owen and Vassell playing off him, hunting for scraps, I have to say we'd look more likely to score.
    In Michael Owen (if he sorts his fucking life out) and Darius Vassell, England possess two born goal-scorers. They just need a bit o' service.

Roll on the Summer :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  15. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

16. Steve

Steve Active Member

Goalkeepers: I am gutted Chris Kirkland is injured as he is the best English Goalkeeper by far, also why Richard Wright and not Nigel Martyn on standby?

Defenders: From being the strongest position on the pitch we may have Caragher and Kind as the central pairing against Henry & Trezeguet......Oh dear!! Would definitely take Upson instead of King.

Midfielders: Good choice, definitely wouldnt start Butt as he cant even get a club game. Scholes is playing awful and I hope Sven gives up on his hero worship of the old Scholes and drops him from the starting line up.

Strikers: Owen obviuosly but on his own, I would have taken Smith and used either him and Rooney as a 5th man in midfield. When playing two upfront, Owen and Heskey every time from the strikers we have.

G.Neville Campbell Terry Bridge
    Beckham Lampard Gerrard Scholes
  17. Well Worth It

Make your mind up Steve :wink:
    I'm a Red thru and thru and I say drop him.
  18. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Apparently Nigel Martyn said he didn't want to be picked for standby and if he was to be picked for the squad he wanted to be first choice for the team. When he couldn't be guaranteed that he refused the invitation. I suppose in a way you can understand that. He is 38 this year and Euro 2004 would probably be his last big competition. So he would want to play rather than sit out a whole competition on the bench during a summer when he could be relaxing trying to keep in shape - physically and mentally - for his League team.

Anyway, my team from the squad would be:

David James (only 'cos I think he's better than the other two - surely there are better goalies than these three. Erm...........maybe not, actually)
    Ashley Cole - Sol Campbell - John Terry - Wayne Bridge (wouldn't touch Ledley King with a barge pole)
    David Beckham - Frank Lampard - Steve Gerrard - Kieron Dyer
    Michael Owen - Wayne Rooney
  19. Well Worth It

:eek: :eek:
    Something against the Nevilles, Matt?
  20. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Yes - I don't think either of them are worth an England team place. A squad place for cover maybe but not first choice :roll: :roll: