England World Cup in just over 1hr

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by chingchongchew, Jul 3, 2018.

1. chingchongchew

chingchongchew Member

Just thinking about this here in Scotland
    How many of you have got a band practise tonight and like football and also watch England play
    With the game on soon
    Have you had band cancelled or not
    If so are you going to band or
    Watch he England game

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We had this decision last Thursday: what we did was to show the first half (and a bit) of the game at the hall, then press on with band practice at 8.15 as usual.

As far as I am aware nobody stayed away to watch the football, but whether that would have been the same if it had been a decisive game I can't say.

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I've made myself unpopular a couple of times so far this football world cup by not having the foggiest when the English football team are playing and scheduling rehearsals over the match...

I told the complainants that they should attach a football liaison officer to the rehearsal planning subcommittee (which is a grand way to say "tell me about it in advance next time")...

Jack E likes this.
  4. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I remember once, when I had a part-time job driving taxis, two blokes got into my cab, and asked me "Who won?"

I looked at them, completely blank, and said "Who won what?" - and I wasn't joking . . .
    :)

I once saw a clip of Stanley Matthews in full flight, racing down the wing, practically dancing a fandango round the ball - it looked like he'd got as many legs as a spider - and an opposing player was running flat out, just to keep up with him!

But what do I see now, time and time again whenever a clip of football comes to my attention? So-called 'professionals' get possession, well away from their own goal, with no immediate challenges from the other side; do they run with it? Do they, hell!

The bone-idle drama queens give it an almighty boot high into the air - so that by the time it lands in the other half, there are three or four opposing players waiting for it, which means that, more often than not, the idiot in question has given possession to the other side. And then what happens when one player gets within striking distance of the goal, with only one or two defenders anywhere near him? Does he go for it? NO chance! He starts faffing around, stopping, starting, running sideways, waiting for somebody else to come up in support - but, by the time they do, so have all the opposing team's defenders, and it descends into a complete muddle. If they don't lose possession, and they do get the ball into the net, it's more by luck than by skill or good judgement.

I once saw a clip of two players, playing in the Cup Final at Wembley (late 50s, early 60s?). The centre forward had just scored the goal which clinched the Cup for his team. Did he race around with his mouth wide open, raising his fists in the air? Did his team mates jump all over him, hugging and kissing him? Nope. As he trotted back towards the centre line, he swung across to shake hands with the winger who had set him up for the shot, and that was that.

These days, somebody scrambles a flukey ball into the net, putting his team one goal up, with more than half the match still to play, and the whole team erupt like a bunch of hysterical, hormonal teenagers, as though he'd clinched the World Cup.

The only players worth watching these days are all under 11 years old - whatever they lack in ability they MORE than make up for in the sheer spirit and determination they show, playing their hearts out from kick off to final whistle.

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

So I take you aren't much of a football fan then Jack :) . Must admit, I watched a bit of the England game yesterday and almost fell asleep (I think Kyle Walker really did fall asleep at one point!!).

6. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

@John Brooks
    It depends, very much, on how the game is being played. I'm not a tennis fan, but I remember watching Arthur Ashe knocking seven bells out of Jimmy Connors at Wimbledon on the TV - and was fascinated by the way Ashe made it look so easy, when I know full well it wasn't. The man put in a flawless performance, never once losing his cool or getting flustered - the diametric opposite of Connors, who behaved like a tantrum-throwing 3 year old.

Mind, what spoilt it for me was the blatant racism and snobbery shown towards Arthur Ashe by the contemptible little creep who gave out the trophies. He gave Ashe the trophy, a handshake and half a dozen words as though he could barely be bothered to talk to him - but was all over Connors for 5 or 6 minutes. An absolute disgrace to the Lawn Tennis Association, and to England.

7. MissBraz

MissBraz Active Member

Our rehearsal was cancelled.
    And if it wasn't I would probably not have attended the rehearsal (I put 'probably' but you might as well take it out I definitely would not have been there)

If there are players that don't like football and are peeved the rehearsal gets cancelled for it, I get that, however don't put a rehearsal on and then complain when only half the band are there!

:)

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Or conversely, don't assume that football watching can legitimately overrule band practice attendance...

For sure, if there's going to be an attendance problem and there's no urgency for a rehearsal that night, cancel it - better for everyone. But if one's scheduled, then turn up to it rather than leave those that don't care about football to suffer a crappy rehearsal...

Slider1 likes this.
  9. MissBraz

MissBraz Active Member

Oh I totally agree, however the world cup is every 4 years... And how often do England do 'ok'.

As a season ticket holder for the club I support I regularly have to give away tickets of Monday night games/European games because of a band rehearsal.

When there are people missing rehearsals for their great aunts cousins brother birthday meal - I think why should I give up something I have paid for?

However I do fully understand and see you point of view.

Leveridge96 and 2nd tenor like this.
  10. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Can’t say that I like spectator sports much really and I certainly wouldn’t pay to watch someone else play in a match. Of course I wish the England Team well but would be surprised if we get much further, over the years we have so many times had our national hopes for regaining the Cup dashed. Some surprises this time around though with normally victorious sides being knocked out already.

I sympathise with MissBraz on the loss of use of her (paid for) tickets, I’d find that really tough ....... not sure I wouldn’t look for another band too. Good on her though for handing the tickets to others. As for missing rehearsal for the England matches that’s a tough one. I don’t think I could criticise a die hard Football enthusiast for missing a rehearsal but would prefer others to just record the match and watch it later. If the rehearsal isn’t cancelled then not turning up but watching the box instead, for a sport that you’re not normally passionate about, is a bit mean on the rest of the band.

Same goes for other events too, a band rehearsal is a commitment to meet with others so don’t stand your band friends up lightly and avoid taking something else on on rehearsal nights - that’s perhaps harsh but I think that it’s fair. My own band has some pretty mixed attendance at times and that can damage what we (the remainder) do or achieve in rehearsals. I don’t know what others do but think it a curtesy to let your section mates and conductor know if you’re going to miss a rehearsal for any reason (football, holiday, child care or whatever).

Edit. For those that are interested the next game is on tomorrow (Saturday) at 3.00, we’re playing Sweden. It’ll be hot tomorrow so perhaps some of you will want to stay at home in the shade (with the Television on) rather than do that Park job ......... :) .

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  11. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

I went to someone else's rehearsal when England played Belgium, do I get super extra brownie points? :p

Seriously though, if band's on then I very, very rarely miss (even then, only through illness) regardless of what else is on - hope the team does well but we're beginning to overhype them as we always do so we'll probably lose tomorrow now...

2nd tenor likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice