England vs Portugal

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bungle, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Bungle

Bungle Member

Looks like Ronaldo is doubtful to play,which improves our chances
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It's still gonna have to be by far the best England performance of the tournament to get past them, they're no mugs.

I'm not a religious person at all, but please God, just stick with us a little bit longer yet.
  3. It shoudn't matter who Portugal put out coz England apparently have a 1st 11 full of World Star Players, so really we should be beating anyone who is put in front of us, SHOULDN'T WE?!?!?!?!
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

erm...I don't think anyone said they were all world beating stars...and even if they aren't, is that any reason not to support them?

So war breaks out next week, what do you do, side with the country you think may win rather than your own? If you're typical English, I'm glad I can call myself Scottish. I'm sorry but your lack of patriotism astounds me.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Win or lose I'll be behind England tonight :clap:

*edit* Oops!! Edited my spelling af "war" in the quote
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2006
  6. gawber

gawber Active Member

Now Germany are through to the semi's, I'm hoping for a repeat of the 1966 final!

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Now wouldn't that be just awesome - can't imagine what the atmosphere would be like for that... euphoric I'd guess.

V's Portugal though... a tough one this, but I give England the edge.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... but England's defence and midfield need a little wake-up call! (13mins into game)
  9. I am ABSOLUTELY gutted. :( I'm still behind England 10000%.. we were the true winners of today, I'm just sad it's all over. :(
  10. just coz ive been realistic about england in thie world cup, dunt mean i aint been supportin them.

heres some facts

for an hour in this match, we were 11 vs 11, and portugal matched us in every department

rooney prolly deserved the red card if you say it could have been a combo of him stamping in carvalhos goolies and then givin a lil shove to ronaldo

englands torny as a whole has been pretty average and the tactics havn't been right

england missed out on a few players who should have gone to the world cup, and also england had a couple of players who havnt actually payed even 1 minute in this world cup

good effort, better luck next time i say
  11. Erm.. yeah.. anyway.....
    England did us proud, Rooney did NOT deserve to have been given the yellow, then red.. but he shouldn't have been pushing and shoving, he should have got a yellow for that. But that's all in the past. It's been, it's gone, and we can't change it, but we can SUPPORT OUR COUNTRY.... Which is what some people were lacking. Have a bit of faith in the good ol' English will you!
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Now, did Rooney get sent off for the stamp or reacting to the wind-up(s) from Ronaldo?
  13. For his retaliation.. but who could blame him? Ronaldo just knew what to do to wind Rooney up. I'm not suprised though, with a ref like that! Deff seemed to be on Portugal's side.
  14. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Of course its dissapointing but

The ref not to blame i'm afraid England were negative yet again from the start. Rooney sent off seems to make people think that England played great? eh? agreed they worked hard defensively but come on this is the WORLD CUP quarter final the game deserves more
  15. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

To quote Boycie in Only Fools and Horses (To Hull and Back) I am Gutted!...that's about all I can say. Germany - France final I think, that would be the best outcome for this world cup imo.

Don't think Portugal deserved to win but on the other hand not sure England deserved to win, the match always looked like it was going to penalties and then you knew what was going to happen...however I really did think Lennon would have won a penalty in ET seeing as i've seen less challenges result in a free kick or penalty in this world cup.

Anyway roll on Austria and Switzerland 2008!

Andy - a somewhat dejected England fan :(
  16. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Hoorah for patriotism! :confused:
  17. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Why we nackered our world cup chances:
    • Poor team selection: We ended up with no real goalscorers apart from Walcott. Why Bent/Defoe didn't go is a mystery to everyone, it would seem.
    • Poor tactics: We weren't entirely convincing in any game, if we're honest, but most stuck by Sven as he ground out results as we topped the group and scraped past Ecuador. Something should've been done about the 8-0-1 formation on show for most of the game (after Rooney had been sent off)
    • Lampard and Gerrard: What was wrong with them today? When Portugal got anywhere near forward both Gerrard and Lampard were back defending. This isn't the point of having a holding midfielder? (Who played very well IMO) Twice, I think, Lampard stayed forward and burst through the defence, and had 2 good chances.
    • Lampard: Couldn't finish. With one 'striker', the midfield needed to shove some in. More shots than anyone in the tournament, including many great chances, and his finishing just wasn't good enough.
    • Rooney: Playing on his own up front, he couldn't get in the game. So he came back to win the ball, was frustrated by the Portugese midfield, so he stamps (allegedly) on someone's nackers. Whether he meant it or not, who knows?
    • Lack of motivation: Maybe it's Sven's fault, which I'm inclined to believe actually, but it took our 'star' player to get sent off in our 5th game of the tournament before we started trying. What motivation do you need? You're in the QF of the World Cup.
  18. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

He stamped on the guys b4lls for Gods sake. Every guy watching must have winced. Definetly deserved to go and no way were England the true winners today, that honour must go to France and the wonderful ZZ.

Whilst the match was 11 a side it is true to say that it was pretty even and had it stayed that way then I think England would have got the goal to see them through. If only it wasn't for little pigsy and his violent ways. Wouldn't like to be Sir Alex having to deal with Rooney and Ronaldo first day back at training.
  19. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Well, I think Ronaldo should have gotten a technical sending off for his butting Rooney before the game. If Rooney "can't raise his hands to anyone" then Ronaldo "shouldn't be allowed to 'playfully' butt a Man Utd team mate."

No complaints about the result - if we don't know how to take penalties by now, we never will.

One last observation - Ronaldo's behaviour in this match will see him vilified by Man Utd fans, and all fans across England. If Beckham was given a hard time in 1998, it's going to pale by comparison. I reckopn Ronaldo will leave Man Utd in the January transfer window.

Come on Brazil!!!!!!! ..... Oh, bu**er.
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:clap: ... close!