England vs France - the Scottish perspective

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by johnmartin, Jun 12, 2004.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Very important question here. During the England-France game how long will it be before any of the commentators mentions "1966". Answers in minutes and seconds please. I'll start the ball rolling.

1:47

2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

0:13

(it's inevitable, isn't it?) :roll:

3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Not even that probably about 0.10

The whistle will go and Motty will probably say something like, "and Englands campaign gets underway, could this be there first title since 1966"

4. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Hmmmm......Of course, if Scotland had ever won a World Cup, (Or anything for that matter! :roll: :wink: ) they would just forget all about it and never mention it again would they!? I think not. :roll: :?

5. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

We're used to losing... it's part of our culture :wink:

6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

England currently have an approximate population difference of 50 million people to perm a team from and you've won a total number of ONE more trophy than us, and we've won none.
    Not an overly impressive return for that many more potential players is it?? (I know not all 50 million are eligible but pro-rata it!)

I give it 20 mins before kick off before they mention it.

*edit* having said that I'll be rooting for them cos I'm a Scot but British and proud.

7. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Actually I'm not English either. Or British. I'm Manx (you don't say! :roll: ) But I'll still be supporting England. If the Isle of Man were in the European Champs, I'd be cheering them on instead. As the population is only around 75,000, we don't stand much chance of that ever happening!

p.s. Nice Avatar Crawford.....wonder who suggested that to Boc Brother......Mwahahahahahaha :twisted: :twisted:

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

They'll mention it before kickoff I'd imagine

9. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Given that they couldn't stop mentioning it during the Rugby World Cup I reckon we're talking just a few seconds into the match. Of course they'll mention it during the pre-match show too :)

Can't help themselves... :D

10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Ok we English will stop mentioning 66 if you Scot's stop mentioning the only thing you ever won - Bannockburn or something about 700 years ago. Ha Ha :D

Surely the best thing to stop 66 talk is for Enland to win again. So come on, give England your support. If the roles were reversed we would be 100% behind your boys.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    England
    France
    Scottish
    pc
    Scottish perspective
  12. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

My favourite ever t-shirt was just after Scotland won their last Grand Slam against England at Murrayfield. It said:

Bannockburn 1314
    Murrayfield 13-7

and it was available by the time folk walked back into town from the match :D

Seriously though, I like the England football team and the majority of their fans too but I get well wound up by the commentators and the newspapers - it's nothing personal ;)

13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I don't think I ever said I wasn't supporting your team :wink: Ok I didn't say I was, either! Good luck anyway!

14. 2nd man down

:shock: :evil: you wouldn't??!?!

15. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

oh No--Just finished watching and I'm in tears :cry:

16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

You been peeling FRENCH onions eck. :D :D :D

17. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Rolling about the floor :lol:

18. 2nd man down

Well...I'm stunned...they though it was all over...it is now!!

That must be the latest international goal since 1966 I think!!!

19. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Score was still 1-0 when I left the bandroom. I went to Tesco and when I got to the checkout I found out the score. Shame folks, better luck next time!

20. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

couldn't stop laughing... sorry guys but to hear the same commentator that was so jubilant about man utd's last 2 goals in 1999, sounding so deeply hurt by the french doing the same thing was just hilarious!!

Honestly I think England didn't deserve to win the way they played in the second half. They obviously came out to defend for 45 minutes and that always ends in tears!!

21. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Our Youth Fellowship last night was set aside for watching the football - only thing was, the host was a Scotsman who walked round at the end of practice on Thursday playing the Marseillaise :oops: . No doubt he donned his Rangers/Scotland shirt, if not his kilt, and enjoyed the end of the match to the full :shock: :wink: :lol:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    England
    France
    Scottish
    pc
    Scottish perspective