England v Wales. Got me thinking....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

May have posted something like this before but can't remember, but those of you like me old enough to remember the Home International Championship.... well why not bring back an 'enhanced' version of this, say like the rugby Six Nations? Include Ireland and France with the four 'home' nations. Bearing in mind how (from the reports I've seen) Ireland were unlucky not to beat France over the weekend, it would be a close contest. I'm sure it would fire all those nations up playing each other every year, despite Eriksson's rejection of it. England may have beaten Wales on Saturday but I reckon an annual tournament would fire the other nations up and it would eventually be a close call each year. If it were to start now, then any one of three (England, Ireland, France) would probably prevail but given time, I reckon the others would catch up. What do you football fans reckon?
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  2. jpbray

jpbray Member

All jibes aside; Wales didn't turn up, they were comprehensively beaten by a better side.

As for the Home International Tournament. Why was it scr4pped in the first place? Also there is the Club v Country row which undoubtably raise its head again.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I think part of the reason it ceased at least was the risk of crowd trouble. I may be wrong, but that's what I heard.

PS. This 'rude word filter' ..... honestly!! ;-)

As for the club v country row. Well if that's the case, maybe some of the managers could use a 'Six Nations' to blood some new talent or at least find out if potential 'newbies' have an international future.