England v Holland

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well that was another pointless exercise! Apart from being a boring game, SGE gives Crystal Palace striker Andy Johnson his debut after 60 minutes..... and plays him out wide on the right! Though England played better than they did against Spain in their last friendly (wasn't difficult), there seemed to be few of the established 'guard' bothering too much (so much so that at the end Gary Neville tried a party trick. I mean.... GARY NEVILLE!!) So why not use these friendlies to try out 11 uncapped players or those with only a handful of caps? (like Holland did, by and large)

In the end, the jug eared crisp muncher summed it up perfectly. 'It wasn't a thriller at the Villa. It should have been played at Birmingham City because it was absolutely sh...... ocking!'

2. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

:clap:

It was pretty pathetic... The only reason David Beckham played a stronger role than in previous internationals was because the other players were abismal...

...why doesnt Sven get it over with and just drop him... Messing up the formation to accomodate SWP... Shaun should replace Beckham...

Terry should be captain... (although i'd settle for Lampard or Gerrard!!)

3. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

What was the point in that?
    In a rammed season of some 60 games, do the international playing staff desperately need these superfluous matches?
    I don't know what Sven said to SWP before KO but he obviously put the fear of God into him.
    He looked like a new-born kitten, only not quite so sure-footed.
    So anxious to impress, that he squandered possibly the easiest chance of his career.

That's before I get to the formation!

"Tord, Tord.....TORD! Sorry for doing a wake up, but I am have excellent idea. Let us permit Ashley Cole and Gary Neville to go forward at the same time with no covering wide midfielders, and attackers with about as much defensive prowess as Myra Hindley's lawyer."

A stronger Dutch team would've pasted us to Doug Ellis's parking space.
    What a waste of an hour and a half.

There were some plus points though.......we got a point for a draw.
    "What? We didn't?"
    Oh.................................right then.

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Much against my natural instincts I feel compelled to defend SVG, how can he win when it comes to friendlies?

1. He picks his best available team and then changes it at half time to give young potential players a game and he is slated

2. He tries a new formation (433) that MAY be a solution to a long-term problem (no left side midfielder) and he is slated

3. If he picked a team of potentai players what are the chances that the media (and many fans) would slate him for being 'disrespectfull to the fans' by NOT playing his 1st choice team

Rather than just slating him whay don't the media (and fans) make more positive suggestions.

At on the point of positive suggestions SWP is a very talented prospect but has'nt played enough matches under rwal pressure to say that he should replace Beckham who, wether you like it or not, has played many games under more pressure than any other english player around at the moment - I sense some ABU tendancies amongst the calls for SWP to replace Becks, some people just cant accept that United have provided the core of the England team for the last 10 years and so constantly criticize anyone from United.

Name a better right back than Gary Neville ? No England manager has been able to find one since Terry Venables, can they all be wrong?

5. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Steve Trom = Man Utd Fan

err hello taking an interest in England? what a man Utd fan surely not............

and i wasn't coming on tmp today was i ...............

However I do agree Steve that whilst the ''highlights'' weren't very good SGE definitely can't win. The sooner the media realise that England have no divine right to success the better.

England play best with 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2 Rooney was wasted (but wasn't his first touch dreadful) as was AJ and SD.

Ian

6. stevetrom

and the Arenal conveyor line of England internationals...................... :clap:

7. impycornet

impycornet Member

Who cares ----- Wales won !!

:)

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Scoring more goals than the opposition usually helps! ;)

9. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

Poor Neville, he looked relatively competent among this shower until he tried to dribble.Unfortunately he hadn't put his bib on at half-time........I don't understand,if SGE wanted to try new players why he didn't start with Downing,Johnson and WP up front with Gerrard,Hargreaves and Lampard in midfield.
    Spanky

10. Well Worth It

Wouldn't have made too much difference. Lampard was kak as well.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    England
    Holland Well
    Andy Johnson
    Crystal Palace
    Gary Neville
  12. stevetrom

Whose job is on the line if England fail to qualify for the World Cup?

Mine - no

Yours - no

Alan Hansen - no

Ian Dowie - no

Jamie Redknapp - no

etc, etc, etc

SGE - YES

Its his job on the line if the team fail when it matters so surely he should be allowed to do whatever HE thinks is best, I have'nt heard any of his critics in the media volounteering to take the job on themselves !

13. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Freedom of speech is everything surely
    tmp allows us to agree / disagree / comment on the events of the band world so why not football?

14. Well Worth It

Who's getting paid £4.6m/annum?

You? Doubt it.
    Me? Na.
    Hansen? Unlikely.
    SGE? Yep!

15. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Downing was alrite wasn't he? ;):wink: Coome on laydees! agree! :tongue:

Until he got kicked or somethin and just sat on the floor... I was like.. wimp! "Oh no, I hurt my leg I'll sit in the middle of the pitch and whimper a bit!"

Hehe

16. stevetrom

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with people expressing an opinion It just really annoys me when pundits (like Hansen, etc) are all too quick to criticize what amanager (club or country) is doing but have NEVER been prepared to put their opinions on the line and do the job themselves.

Its a bit like players who constantly criticize how a conductor takes a piece, how they take rehearsals, choice of music, etc, ect but when you suggest they have a go it all goes very quiet.

I tried conducting once - it was far too hard so now I just shut up (most of the time) and play my part

17. Chris Sanders

Nevilles terrible... Just because he's the best of English doesnt make him good...

As a nation, we are seriously lacking world class footballers at the moment... The only three credible world class players in the England squad are;

Gerrard
    Lampard
    Terry (should be captain...)

If Rooney could get a slap and sort his attitude out, plus if he was'nt such an arrogant f****t, we'd have four...

SWP... With more international experience will be world class... No doubts about that!!

Young Bradley has an enormous amount of potential, many say he's more talented than Shaun??? In the handful of matches ive been to when he's played, I havent seen it yet... Keegan brings him on too late, he deserves 20/25 mins per game at least... However, could be a prospect for in about a year or two's years time...

18. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Last night's game was really boring! Yawn!
    Wright-Phillips was a joke and should have stayed home and knitted jumpers to keep the team warm or something, it would have been much more useful! On the whole Holland seemed to be much more competant in handling the ball, i.e. it went where it was supposed to more often than it did when Englad players kicked it!! The best thing about the game was the beer, and the beer was pretty rank where I was let me tell you...

19. Chris Sanders

Very unfair...

1st start for his country...

He was as good as any other English player...

All were poor...

He was out of position... Once Sven gets rid of that tart Beckham, we'll see the true class of Shaun!!

20. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Well, OK, maybe I shouldn't single him out, as they were all pretty pants. Nowt to do with you being a City fan though eh? ;)

21. Chris Sanders

Me being a city fan has everything to do with it... not bias... but knowledge...

I know he is capable of much more than we saw last night... However he was as good as any other player on the pitch... Give him a chance... He will deliver!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    England
    Holland Well
    Andy Johnson
    Crystal Palace
    Gary Neville