England v Ecuador

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Jun 25, 2006.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

So...it's crunch time...which England is going to turn up today?

The lackluster outfit of individuals with no punch going forward?

or the team of superstar midfielders who can thread a ball through any defence?

Come on England, lets see what you're made of this afternoon and show us all you really do deserve to get your hands on that trophy!!

2. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I think England will win today, although i've a feeling it could be a bit of a throw back to the Cameroon game in 1990...going to stick my neck out and say something like 3-1 or 3-2 to England.

When's the quarter final?

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4. Bigenglandfan

Bigenglandfan Member

Im not one of your head in the cloud romantics who think that England have a divine right to win every time that they step on the pitch. However, I am excited by the team that SGE has picked for today. It's attack minded and manages to make use of all of our best, currently fit players. We will win.

5. Of course England will win today! :D I'm off to the pub now to meet up with everyone for the crucial match... goodbye! :biggrin:

6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

This Is It!!! They're Coming Out!!

Come On Eng-er-laaaaaaand!!!!!!!!!! Show Your Teeth!!!!!!

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I'm sure they'll represent the UK well today ... ;)

8. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

c'mon INGERLANDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

77 mins gone and England are up 1-0... a Beckham free kick.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

England 1 Equador 0 ... better shape about England today. Need Lennon on from the start though.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ecuador
    England
    England v Ecuador
    ball
    team of superstar midfielders
  12. proof that sven needed to change his lineup!

carrick, 99% passing success

lennon, good skills on the wing, played the simple passes, kept the ball well

didnt see all the game but apparently hargreves played well too

just proves that it doesnt always take the big names to grind out a result

to be honest though, ecuador, who have exceeded all expectations this year, proved themselves to be a good passing team with some pace and skill, no disrespect to them, but england are likely to face a better teams from now on, i feel we really need to start playing like star players insted of just being star players on paper

we look good enough defensivly but when we come up against the likes of argentina and brazil who do have fantastic attacking options both on the pitch and on the bench, i feel we will fall short

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

England have to deal with either Holland or Portugal first.

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well currently its a nine-man Portugal 1 a ten-man Holland 0 :-?

I though that again we played some good stuff today but it was always followed by some utter dross. That said we seemed to make fewer unforced errors than we have been doing recently, and we kept the ball better - its still not right and we will have to improve still, but we were a little better tonight.

Right then, this new formation. I thought it worked right up until the last pass - then it totally fell apart. Not sure exactly how many chances we had in the box but the fact that the goal and the nearest misses were all long-range shots worries me. Rooney did OK, but I just don't understand why Sven insists on making people play either out of position or not in their favoured role. I know we've lost Owen, but Rooney isn't a lone striker. Its something we will have to solve if we are to progress past the next match.

So onward - which is the main thing. But we will have to keep improving.

Come on England!

Oh and as I have been writing this post there is another sending off (van Bronckhorst) and its still 1-0 in the 94th minute. Looks like Portugal next then.

EDIT: It is Portugal. So Big Phil awaits. How ironic.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  15. Di

Di Active Member

Wow, through to another round eh? Who'd have thunk it? :rolleyes: I might even have to push the boat out and watch my first match of the games for this. :rolleyes: