England for the wooden spoon?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Feb 27, 2005.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

At least we'd get something.
    BMB
    xx

[muttering from EvilDaddyBadger]We was robbed. 2 disallowed tries and allthe decisions went against. They had the wind with them, we was robbed, where is the new cat I'm going to kick it[/muttering from EvilDaddyBadger]

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    spoon
    something
    cat
    tries
    decisions
  3. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Looks like the England vs Italy match in a fortnight is going to be the new "Wooden Spoon" match.

I have to say that the referee was absolutely appaling today. England's try should not have been allowed because of Grewcock taking out O'Gara outside the ruck, and from the rolling maul when Thompson went over the line, it should have either been a try or a 5m scrum with an England put-in. How it was an Irish put in, I will never know because nothing happened in the play to warrant the ref awarding one!

However, it does mean that we are going to have a potential Grand Slam decider on the final day of the competition which is always good! :)

4. stabbyjnr

stabbyjnr Member

you have a cat???
    wats it called?

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Quite! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    bless him... and the poor lil cat too :p (not that I like cats)

6. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Give it a kick from me too!, can't kick our cat he's too old and he'd probably go and wee on our bed in revenge.

Still on the up side this was the best England performance so far so the futures not looking too bleak. Well done Ireland, now go and pulverize Wales :D

7. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Sour grapes perhaps? Well if they do pulverize us, it's certainly something that you lot couldn't do! 11-9......

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I doubt we'll get the wooden spoon but we've been pretty shocking over the last few weeks. We were much better today - but we were still giving away stupid penaltys (in the first half) and effectively giving Ireland 3 points every time.

As steven2001 has said some of the refereeing decisions were pretty shocking - for both sides. Why didn't he go to the video ref. for the push over "try"??There was no way in the world he could see the ball, let alone if it was grounded or not. And as for giving Ireland the put-in in the resultant scrum - wha???? The disallowed Cueto (sp?) try was dodgy too - it didn't look like the offside was flagged by the linesman (in the replay) so a referee behind and 40 yards away from the player could see better than a linesman could he??:mad: That said the England try shouldn't have been allowed either - unless we're going towards American Football rules. Generally a poor day for the ref and from what the commentators were saying he isn't too popular in Munster either. Perhaps he has ambitions as a football referee. ;)

So what do I think? Well we are showing some signs of recovery. We miss Johno (I'm a bit biased there, coming from Leicester) - we need someone to calm things down and stop us gving away penaltys in kickable places. Also Jason Robinson seems to be a little lacking in his usual flair - maybe the burdon of captaincy is weighing him down?

9. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

I'm looking forward to the national holiday that will be called in New Zealand if England lose to Scotland and Italy

10. dyl

dyl Active Member

Don't rise to the bait Gaz - their own season is over - they need something to cling on to! ;)

11. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Well we have to let you have a go every now and then :biggrin: . Seriously though, very impressed this season with Wales' recovery of form (taken your time about it though ;) , and whats wrong with sour grapes anyway? ;) ). tbh I reckon the Wales/Ireland match could be a corker (though I reckon Ireland'll take it.. just) hopefully England can get their act sorted out for next years 6 nations which could well be even better! :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    spoon
    something
    cat
    tries
    decisions
  13. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Who cares? It's only Union after all. OK for a wet afternoon if you're bored but not proper rugby. When I see a decent tackle I'll let you know.

Amen.

D

14. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

****** Referee! Boring, Boring Ireland were allowed to win a game they didn't deserve to. England had 3 tries not 1! If I was Andy Robinson I'd be making an official complaint to the IRB.

I'm with the taffs for this one, at least you guys play interesting rugby, but then again if you get a ref that can't see white lines or thinks backwards is forwards then you're stuffed.

15. ScrapingtheBottom

Look at the whole footage, O'Gara had his hands on the ruck when Grewcock made contact with him - legal try.

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Oh it's such a joy to witness.

Johhny Wilkinson and some others that may not have bothered turning up for what it was worth win the World cup in the most boring fashion imaginable and they're the greatest team that ever lived and couldn't possibly ever lose again...and now cos they've been humbled a few times it's all the refs fault and "ooh we wiz robbed!!"

Don't get me wrong, you'll still probably beat us jocks cos you usually do somehow...but it isn't half good watching you all bleat on about how hard done to you are.

FACT: England are nothing without Johnny (Ooh isn't it cute how i put my hands together before i kick the ball...AGAIN!!) Wilkinson. Give the World Cup back...it belongs in Oz. At least they'd have played like Champions after they'd won it too.

And stop singing swing low sweet chariot all the time...it just makes you look like morons. What on earth does it have to do with the England Rugby team anyway?? It's an old cotton plantation song isn't it?? You'd be bettor of singing anything by Morrissey...it all suits the mood of your thoroughly tedious and suicide inducing rugby better.

17. ScrapingtheBottom

Did you watch the game? I defy anyone to sit through that match and say that it was fairly officiated. Two perfectly good tries disallowed, rugby balls going "forwards", invisible Irish hands in the ruck, England players "offside". I'm not blaming Ireland, they played a solid game of rugby, but the referee let everyone down. England would have easily scored more points in that game if the referee had made the correct decisions.

EDIT: Less of the digs at england fans, at least our national anthem isn't a 70's pop song.

18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I did watch the game as it happens and England were beaten by exactly the same type of decisions that helped the French beat Scotland the week before (Oh didn't you know about that? well you wouldn't would you cos we don't go and bleat on about it for days afterwards!!) The spirit of the game is to accept defeat as *graciously as you (are supposed to) accept victory.

(*English people this will help you: Gracious - adj. kind and pleasant, esp. towards inferiors. Graciously adv., Graciousness n.)

As for the National Anthem thing...we all live under the rule of the same monarch so our national anthems are one and the same...we just choose to sing something patriotic to Scotland at our rugby matches...not something stolen from a whole different race of people...but then The English tend to excel at that don't they?? What has swing low got to do with English Rugby??

yours
    contented Jock.

19. ScrapingtheBottom

"British Empire" by the way...

Oh and I think you answered your own question as to what the negro spiritual has to do with England - we did have an empire along with you scots...

20. Take that back!

If you're refering to the wimps game of league ... grrr

:p

I suppose it is each to their own, but after playing both games at school i generally prefered the option to run and try to evade the opponents than the run at the huge opposing forwards until the 5th tackle then kick it ... I never understood why Rugby Leaguers never pass until the 5th tackle, surely they could get a lot further on 1 tackle

But back to topic
    Shame on England - being world champions an all ... *sigh*

21. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Personally I have no gripes about the fact that England are playing like a bunch of useless ****ers. That is certainly a fact.

A few bad decisions by the ref weren't what lost England the game against Ireland. Let's have a look at the last 5 minutes or so. England hadn't looked like scoring a try and instead of opting for a relatively easy 3 points that even Hodgson woud have scored, they tried to cross the line. If the 3 points had gone over they should have retained possession from the restart, and all they had to do was force another penalty, and tie the game up. The only person to blame for the lack of success in the last 5 minutes was Robinson J for opting to go for touch instead of the goal.

Alas, I wouldn't be an England Ssupporter unless I had a pop at the ref, so here goes. Using the digital service provided by BBCi, I tend to have the ref's mic instead of the usual partisan garbage being spouted by Brian Moore . The ref had very little to say to the players, I bet that really helped the game flow.

Oh well, let see if we can obtain another defeat from the jaws of victlory against Italy and Scotland.

Only benefit of the England V Scotland game being at 6.00pm 19/03/05 is that my section is playing in the afternoon / evening so won't even feel any compulsion to watch the thing.

22. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Well said Laserbeam bass !

Dodgy decisions or not ( and from the angles I have seen I'm not sure they were - the limited TV view suggests that Cueto would have had to run a good distance in a very short time if he was not in front of the kicker , and there was no way that the other try could be called one way or the other due to the amount of people involved and the refs lack of a view , although we should have had the put in at the 5 ) , England are still not good enough. This was a better performance , and I would hope that we will win against Italy and Scotland , but we still have a long way to go to recapture winning form.

Several things worry me at present.Phase ball recycling remains slow - the French or Welsh showed us how to play quick effective ball and demonstrated this conclusively in that stunning game on Saturday ( which has to rank as one of the best I've seen in some years). The line out was better but there is still an element of doubt with our line out play.Lastly the Captaincy has to be an issue that urgently needs sorting out.I have maintained all along that Wilkinson will never play for England again and stand by this.Robinson is a great player undoubtedly but strikes me as being an introvert on and off the pitch , and it seems to me that the burden of captaincy is just to grat for him- that , or he is playing with an undisclosed injury on Sunday as he was absent for long periods of the game, and we saw precious few of his league-style jinking runs at and past opponents. As to who the successor should be , I'm not sure.Ben Kay has made himself a presence in the side and on the field , but I feel still needs time to establish credibility with the "old" 2003 generation (at least those that are still about ).Maybell a role for Andy Farrell ?? !!

With regards to the above debate on Union v League , I am a fan of both although have to say that my less than athletic build means that I now prefer playing union - a lumbering forward , I only have to amble from scrum to scrum. Still prefer to watch league though ( and being a follower of Harlequins down here thats probably the best option at present!!!). One of the encouraging things about the England Union set up has been the involvement of Messrs Larder and Lynott in the coaching set up , and captaincy aside Robinson has been very effective when he is on form. I would have liked to see Henry Paul given more of a go than he was.

Will see you at practice tonight LBB !