England B Squad

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by stevetrom, May 10, 2007.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I have just seen the England B squad

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Tottenham), Ben Foster (Manchester United, on loan at Watford)
    Defenders: Phil Neville (Everton), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Michael Dawson (Tottenham), Ledley King (Tottenham), Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Nicky Shorey (Reading)
    Midfielders: Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Phil Jagielka (Sheffield United), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), Kieron Dyer (Newcastle), Scott Parker (Newcastle), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), David Bentley (Blackburn) Forwards: Michael Owen (Newcastle), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Alan Smith (Manchester United), David Nugent (Preston)

If this is supposed to be a chance to see what potential England players can do why on earth has he picked some players :

Goalkeepers: the current No1 and No2 from the last few full squads ?

Defenders: not so bad, a few unknowns but if he has'nt worked out what Phil Neville can and can't do by now when will he?

Midfielders: a couple of new faces (Jagielka and Bentley) but the rest(Hargreaves apart) are the smae names that have not been up to much in the full squad for the last couple of years

Forwards: Owen (ok back from injury needs a game) but why Defoe ?

All in all not as many new faces as I would have liked to see.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    England B
    squad
    names
    B
    Tottenham
  3. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Goalkeepers - who else would you pick? Robert Green is OK, but not in the same class as Foster or Robinson and Chris Kirkland has flattered to deceive. I suppose Scott Carson should feel agrieved that he's missed out.

Defenders - Again, Wes Brown may have a case to be included. He's played well for United in the last few weeks, but isn't a cert for the England squad to play Brazil. King needs games and I suppose you need an experienced head in there to lead the back line (if not the team).

Midfielders - I'm sure Hargreaves is there for experience. The rest are all on the edges of the full squad, so it's a good chance for them to show what they can do.

Strikers - A good chance to Defoe, Smith and Nugent to establish themselves. We know that Stevie Mc will pick Owen (if he stays fit), Rooney and Crouch so 1 from 3?

I can't say there were any real surprises in the squad. Then again, I can't say I have any real interest in the game either. Albania? They may beat us tomorrow night in Helsinki, but I suspect this will be a very one sided game of football.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Last I heard the U17 and U21 sides were the place for up and coming talent, where players got "tried out."

I thought B international teams were a way of keeping players in the international fold, getting them back to fitness (In the case of owen and smith) and having a reserve to draw from if injuries bite before a match?

Surely the more strong players you've got in the international fold, the better they'll play together if you do need to call up some second-string players.

5. Matt Kirkby

Matt Kirkby New Member

it's probably just to see if there are back up players ready for the international stage. for instance players such as shorey and nugent and jagialka.

6. jmb83

jmb83 Member

with 'keepers, there arent many fit English keepers up to the job at the moment. Kirkland's out having an op.
    Think Carson should've been in there, but then it would just have be No1 No2 and No3 choice of the A squad anyway.

Aparently they looked to call on Freddy Eastwood, but he's accepted a Wales call-up (obviously knows he'll never cut it for England at top level - barely does the job for Southend lately)

7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Still reckon the england B-Team could do worse than call up Steve Harper from newcastle.

If it weren't for Shay Given's not inconsiderable calibre in front of him, he'd start every week.