Enfield and Steven Sykes

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Band Lads Army, Nov 12, 2005.

1. tom thumb

tom thumb New Member

Yeah, must be - just like contesting band cornet players playing the brand new cornet solo, Share my Yoke....

Completely agree!!

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I think it's good to play music that will only get an airing on a sunday or a festival. still as long as the band movement has judges / players / arrangers like Steve Sykes it can't be a bad thing :) I think if you look at steves output as an arranger it is pretty phenominal and all good ( maybe the bands your playing with can't play them up to a good standard as they are tricky) , still if you can do a "better" arrangement of pieces like Scarecrow and Mrs King , would be interesting to see :)

3. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Bands I've played/play with are more than capable of playing Steve's arrangements - National Champions (Championship Section) etc.

Perhaps you miss the point about music in general - composers/arrangers want their music to be heard. I agree that for the listener to get a good impression, the performances need to be at least adequate, that is our job as performers - to take the thoughts/ideas of composers/arrangers from the page and into the heads/minds of the listener.

It is not all about technique - how fast, how high, how low etc. It is about the listener. Without the listener music would meaningless.

I was referring to listening to arrangements not playing them (try not to patronise other bands/players).

Your replies show what in my opinion is a big problem in the Brass Band - too much playing not enough listening - to all musical genres. Plenty of comments about other bands at contests in these pages and elsewhere from people with amazing hearing - the ability to hear performances from pubs 2 miles away. Even those in the audience think the rest of us are deaf going by the number of ooh's and aah's when something goes wrong or there is an odd slip - it's live music for goodness sake.

What is it with some brass banders? Even when a composer at a national competition tells them he doesn't want to hear farting noises in the basses they go ahead anyway. Why because? Probably because they can and anyway what do composers know?

How refreshing to go along to Canadian Brass last week. Fantastic technique yes, but lots of good MUSIC. No ooh's & aah's from the audience or suicidal tendencies from performers when thigs didn't quite come off. Suberb stuff.

4. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Enfield

Well said Nick!
    Anyway, I dont think this thread was for an open discussion about arrangements etc...it was started in good faith in respect of the performances re Enfield and Steve Sykes.
    Perhaps the additional chapter should be closed on here and contiuned via Instant message if folk so wish.
    Toodle pip
    Bob