Energy Price Decreases, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by blakeyboy, Mar 1, 2007.

What do you think

Poll closed May 30, 2007.
  1. About time

3 vote(s)
  2. Decrease enough

0 vote(s)
  3. Decrease not enough

7 vote(s)
  4. Eh? I don't understand

1 vote(s)
  1. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

Hi all

I was wondering what people actually think of the energy companies price decreases.

I know its a sore topic, trust me, I am a customer too!

Here's a clever little table to show the current movers and shakers.

Energy Supplier
    £ per annum inc VAT
    % Difference

Scottish and Southern
    British Gas
    EDF Energy
    Scottish Power

*these are based on industry averages by the way.
  2. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

Will anybody be rushing the suppliers for their prices, how will you approach them?

Best quick way is, but beware when they quote you as there can be all kinds of errors made either side from web based quotes, due to difference in consumption values.
  3. gawber

gawber Active Member

this website links to a free price comparison website where you can earn cashback if you change supplier
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Why is decreasing prices just encourages more energy use.

E.g. if petrol was expensive in the States as it were in the UK, we'd be having a big push towards carpooling and public transport which in turn would help the environment.
  5. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

I'll bet you would be having a revolution! :biggrin:
  6. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Its good because people can actually afford it! The price increases hit people on low incomes, including students, I know alot of students who have had to move back home because the bills were getting too much, and there's no way it encourages more energy use - who in their right mind would use energy they dont need? Petrol is a completely different kettle of fish, and cannot be compared with electricity and gas.

Its not before time though, I'll bet the wholesale cost of energy went down months ago...
  7. blakeyboy

blakeyboy Member

The wholesale price decrease of gas is the biggest difference, electricity is emerging as the most costly of the utilities.

Wholesale gas prices of course fell around October/November time; however, as we saw in the Nov/Dec of 2005 there was a cold snap that took everyone by suprise, as well as the national grid and suppliers, and lasted for a few weeks, the inevitable followed, a spike in gas usage.

This had a massive effect on the national supply, as we have no gas fields in land and so we have to obtain it from elsewhere, also the storage facilities were severely depreciated hence a massive spike in the gas wholesale price as it had to be outsourced.

I know, this sounds like stock phrases, same old story, you all say that type of stuff...the long and short of it all is that until the new pipeline from the Nordic states was joined to the National Grid the gas prices would either plateau or, as it did, increase...:frown:

Why this happened I do not know, and people can speculate, greed, governmental influences..(not my views by the way)..etc etc! who knows. At least the prices are now coming down eventually.

I can see and appreciate why people get angry with their suppliers at the time it has taken to announce decreases, but wholesale buyers are only doing their job using consumer forcasting models based on the previous years winter usages and of course they have to buy there and then, which can sometimes be between 6 and 9 months before the winter, to supply suitably just in case, unlike us meagre consumers getting ours straight from the pipe.

Wow, thats a bit long winded...sorry.

I am not even going to touch petrol prices, I know how touchy people get when it comes to that, anyway its not the topic..

Thanks for your views.
  8. Bungle

Bungle Member

According to the Times money suppliment on Saturday, 'wholesale gas prices have tumbled by 63% over the past nine months'. They predict that better offers are going to come along and to hang fire on switching for a bit. It goes without saying that an internet accounts, where you enter your readings online give better value.