End of the Line for Woodfalls Band

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by fartycat, Jul 9, 2009.

1. fartycat

fartycat Member

The Woodfalls Band has announced that owing to the financial climate, its long-term sponsorship deal with South West Trains has come to an end.

The rail operator SWT has sponsored Woodfalls band since 1995, 14 happy years of partnership.

The sponsorship deal enabled the band to expand its reach into the community, hold young composers competitions, masterclasses for young players around the region and subsidised countless large-scale charity concerts that saw the band raise tens of thousands for good causes.

Alongside lottery grants, the partnership with South West Trains also helped refurbish the Woodfalls Band hall and purchase new instruments.

"We are very grateful for the massive support that South West Trains have given us over more than a decade," said Bandmaster Paul Williams to 4BR.

He added: "It has been a tremendous honour to be part of the band whilst being supported by SWT and everyone in the band would like to thank them for what they have done for Woodfalls."

Brian Easterbrook, Band Secretary, added: "The partnership between South West Trains and Woodfalls has helped push the band to where it is now. Obviously we are now looking for a new sponsor and I would like to encourage anyone interested in helping to get in touch with us."

The band will launch its new logo at a gala concert on Friday 10th July. The concert features Richard Marshall and David Thornton and the Boscombe Band of the Salvation Army alongside Woodfalls Band. Tickets are £5 and the concert starts at 8pm.

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Sad news Paul, but indicative of the current climate I guess. It is clear that your relationship with SWT has placed you in a stronger position than would otherwise have been, and hopefully allows you to seek new sponsorship which might be attractive to some particular businesses.

Good luck to the band in your search, and I hope the concert tomorrow goes well.

3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I am realy sorry to hear you have lost your sponsorship. However, it isn't the end of the world and I know Woodfalls are a good enough band to keep going.:clap:

4. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Used to come down to your solo comp when I was down there - great outfit you've got, so hope you keep afloat! I'm sure your local community will rally round, you're part of the fixtures and fittings! Good luck! :clap:

5. fartycat

fartycat Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone. We'll survive, no doubt about that. We have some good fundraising tricks up our sleeve including a huge concert in Salisbury Cathedral on sept 5th.

6. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Here Here

7. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

A Yankee Perspective -- These companies that end their sponsorships could not be doing more for their branding for their companies. Who thinks of Woodfalls w/o thinking of Southwest Trains?

Of course CDs, with the sponsors name REALLY gets the name out there. I think Woodfalls recorded one or two or so (please correct me if I am wrong, that was off the top of my head).

But overall, the name is mentioned and mentioned and mentioned .... hard to find better advertising than that. Plus you are providing music to a community and often to junior bands so kids have something to do besides get in trouble.

Research has shown again and again that kids involved in good music (not garage bands, etc.) are better behaved, have a higher respect for authority and see a greater good in the large and therefore are less selfish.

All of that makes the sponsors look great.

It is too bad SWT pulled out (no pun intended).