ENBBC 2008 - Live Stream

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by The Music Page, Jun 25, 2008.

1. RobBari

RobBari Member

ok who wrote a repeat on all the Dyke parts?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe they were checking that it was recorded okay? Another big OOPS!

3. RobBari

RobBari Member

What happened there then?

4. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

Broadcast of Black Dyke has gone back to the start again.

Though my eyes & ears in the hall has texted me a message
    all he said was,...... WOW.

Now as i'm writing this it's at the end, & the clapping. We did'nt even get to hear most of the testpiece.

This musicpage.com is getting on my nerves at this stage,... though can't be too bad, i get paid coming to work today for sitting on my laurel,... listening to dog's bark & croak !! Whey Hey !!

5. robcav

robcav Member

What happened to the Dyke performance stream? So disappointed not to hear the end.

6. boagy

boagy Member

David Thornton has come back for seconds lol :clap:

7. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

Has my Download of Reg Vardy gone awol,.... tell me i'm not seeing things and that i don't need to return my pc to the pc doctor, but is that David Thornton sitting in with Reg Vardy wearing his Dyke coat ?

Am i going mad, Woof Woof,.....Quack Quack !!

8. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

Robcav,........... is that your dog making all those funny noise's ?

9. robcav

robcav Member

It can't be - my dog barks in tune.

10. dizzystinker

dizzystinker Member

Wow!

Well if the open rehearsal on thursday was anything to go by we missed one of the best performances i have ever seen from BD!!!:clap:

11. Revel8ion

Revel8ion New Member

Tommy,

Maybe you should do the coverage of the Scottish Open with your microphone and a mobile phone. ;)

12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ah ... now that's an idea ... :oops: I'm getting to so few contests these days because of work I would have to be chained to a seat before the event starts to avoid yapping and catching up with people and missing bands. :redface:

13. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I'm narked, well narked. Whenever i can watch a big contest over t'internet, i always have a quite unimpressive band job i have to go to. Missed all but the 1st bands today. Got to see Mr Boddice's speech in as many sections as Enigma Variations and then the results. It's a sham!!!!

14. Watched the first performance, sort of. 'Dogs barking' etc... gave up went out and watched some cricket instead!
    May well watch the repeats in contest order as long as they don't crash.

Come on Norway, get in on the act to cover the Nationals!!!

15. T Winch

T Winch Member

What was the name of that nice company that covered the Europeans? :rolleyes:

16. blue steel

blue steel Member

I watched the first 4or 5 bands from Australia. couldn't quite affordthe airfare to go see it live.

Want to say great job music page for sticking with it. Far better than Cambridge, hopefully things keep improving.

And, about time someone tried to drag brass bands (kicking and screaming about cats and dogs!!) into the 21st century.

I'll be watching the next one for sure

17. Humphrey

Humphrey Member

Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation. 2 vans and as much equipment including satellite broadband, as the government could provide. You get what you pay for. Incidentally, Dyke were fantastic! Grimey were AWESOME! :) A very well deserved victory which I hope even the pondashers will at least acknowledge.

18. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Really?:-? Which cowboy do you know on El Rancho Music Page? :mad:

I logged on expecting "poor" and that's what I saw.
    Being "free" is no excuse for c**p....I went shopping instead.....

It's not just a case of "you get what you pay for" either....
    What's Norwegian for "Excellent free service"?

19. Humphrey

Humphrey Member

If you are referring to my comment then I should explain that I meant you get what you pay for in terms of equipment. Attempting to stream video and audio from a mobile phone set-up is not going to be as effective as the mega-kroner set up of a national broadcasting corporation is it?
    Perhaps you could persuade the BBC (the British equivalent) to do the Open and Nationals and provide the service for free. I'm sure the standard would be equal to the Norwegian set-up. Until that time, happy shopping and mine's a pint!

20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

:)

It's not necessarily the equipment that's the problem (although certain bits of it may be restrictive), but it certainly seems that on both Cambridge and yesterday's contest that there was a serious amount of underestimation in the required bandwidth. Perhaps they just didn't realise how popular it'd be.

Bandwidth / server space and all the computational side seriously adds up in terms of costs...I've no idea how this is being funded, but I'd guess it's on a (relatively) low budget - and even that's got to come from somewhere.

However, as is often seen, expectations seem to be something for nothing.....there was once a post on here querying why brass bands don't get Telarc style treatment and recordings (and to be fair to that OP he guessed the answer) .....well, if you want to provide the £7,000 per day budget for the venue, not force an entire CD into 1 1/2 to 2 days etc etc...

It's not necessarily a case of getting what you pay for, more a matter of maximising the use of the available budget. It's entirely possible to get fantastic value for money on a budget for the service but when there are fixed cost aspects to a project (such as the cost of the bandwidth or CD manufacture) there may be inevitably have to be compromise.

With regard to the BBC comment, of course if they did it it isn't free then either - it comes out of your licence fee - and somehow I don't think the majority of the licence payers would take too kindly to streaming the National Brass Band Championship instead of, say, Glastonbury :wink: