Emotional debut for new Baker composition

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by DanB, May 19, 2010.

1. DanB

DanB Member

The latest composition from the pen of Leigh Baker will get its world premiere at a charity concert in Leicester on Saturday 22 May.

“Angel’s Prayer” was written in memory of Angela Hampton, who sadly passed away last year. She was a close friend of Foresters Brasss 2000, who commissioned the piece as a solo for their principal cornet player, Angela’s son Mathew.

The piece is based on the words of a Norwegian proverb: “Behind the clouds the sun is always shining, behind the clouds the sky is blue”. The main melody of the piece is a setting of those words.

The Brighouse composer-in-residence said: “I know everyone at Foresters very well, in fact I played there for many years under Geoff Whitham, and was really honoured to be asked to write this solo in memory of someone who was clearly so cherished. I spoke to the Hampton family, and others at the band, and we all agreed that the sentiment of the proverb was a truly fitting sentiment for a commission in memory of Angela. It’s a very melodic work which explores the lyrical characteristics of the cornet”.

Mat Hampton said: “It’s a beautiful piece of music. I am delighted with it – we all are at Foresters. The first time we played it was quite an emotional moment, and it means a great deal to have such a beautiful, lasting tribute to my mum”.

“Angel’s Prayer” will get its debut during “Brass for LOROS” at Leicester’s Y Theatre on Saturday 22 May. All proceeds from the concert are being donated to LOROS, a hospice care charity which offered a great deal of support to Angela and her family last year.

Band chairman Dan Baker added: “This is the band’s way of saying a sincere thank you to LOROS, which was there when a close friend of ours, and her family, needed help”.

The concert is being hosted by BBC Midlands Today presenter Dominic Heale. Tickets can be bought from the Y Theatre Box office on 0116 2557066.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Angela Hampton
    Leigh Baker
    Baker
    Mathew
    Angel's Prayer