Emergancy Tax

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. sugarandspice

    sugarandspice Active Member

    How do i go about claiming it back??
  2. Big Twigge

    Big Twigge Active Member

    make sure you're employer puts you onto the correct tax bracket and contact your inland revenue i think! From my experience it took a long time to get the money back although I did get it eventually. Good Luck
  3. PeterBale

    PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

    If you've worked previously, you should have a P45 form to hand to your new employer. If not, or if you have more than one job, your employer should be able to let you have a P46 to fill in. The sooner Inland Revenue have your details, the sooner they should be able to get it sorted out for you. It may take a while, but they should make all the necessary adjustments and correct any overpayment, either through your pay packet, or with a direct payment.
  4. Di B

    Di B Member

    If you are on BR tax code (which is what is usually classed as 'emergency') then you should request a P46 from your employer immediately.

    You just need to tick one of three boxes and sign it and return to your payroll department. (The only time you will be kept on BR is if you have two jobs and are being paid for both.... one of the jobs is likely to bew BR)

    This form enables the payroll department to put you on a non-cumulative single persons tax code until the inland revenue issues your real tax code. (Non-cumulative codes have M1 or W1 at the end of them.)

    Give them a couple of months and the Inland Revenue should hopefully send your payroll department your new tax code (Can't remember if its a P6 or P9 now!) and from then on your payroll department should use the code provided by the inland revenue.

    If you feel that you have still not got all your tax back, you can query this with the Inalnd revenue after that tax year (tax tear end if on 5th April). To do this, it is best to keep all your P45's and any P60's you get as this helps the revenue process any queries you have more quickly.

    Your Inland Revenue area depends on where your company is registered. Sometimes your payslip will show your Tax Office... if not, contact your payroll department who should be able to help you.

    Beard in mind that you should always have your NI number to hand when contacting the revenue - it helps them find you quicker.

    Hope this helps.
  5. sevenhelz

    sevenhelz Active Member

    say what now?
  6. Sopfonix

    Sopfonix Member

    BR isn't emergency tax, it means that all earnings are subject to being taxed at 22%.

    To get your tax back you need to find out from your employer where your tax district is and ask them for the number. Ring the tax office up, with your latest payslip and your national insurance number. You should then be able to give your pay details to the little tax person, they will update your code and issue the new code to your employer and all the luuurvley overpaid tax will be given back to you in your next pay packet.
    :terrier :terrier
  7. sparkling_quavers

    sparkling_quavers Active Member

    yep it certainly does - and that is if you end up getting it all back! :eek: I didn't! :mad:
  8. Lisa

    Lisa Member

    I have lots and lots of emergency tax to claim back: I'm quite looking forward to it! :biggrin:
    I always seem to be having to claim back tax because i'm too lazy to fill in the correct forms in the first place when I start a job :-?
    I've never had any problem getting it back in the past...i think last time it was quite quick...I just sent a nice letter to my local tax place with proof of how much they owed me and then they sent me a cheque...
  9. sevenhelz

    sevenhelz Active Member

    i still don't understand. what forms should i be filling in, given that i've just started my first job?
  10. PeterBale

    PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

    As stated above, your employer should give you a P46 form that will ask for details of any previous or other jobs. Fill that in and you should soon start being taxed on a proper code, so that you will not pay tax on the first portion of your earnings each week/month.
  11. Di B

    Di B Member

    Should I work as a payroll supervisor again I'll bear that in mind!!!
  12. sevenhelz

    sevenhelz Active Member

    aha. my employer didn't do naff all about it. but meh, they paid me after the first week, so i'm happy. i went to the local tax office and they sorted me out in about fifteen minutes - should've taken my pay slip to make it even quicker but they think they'll find me by next month's pay. huzzah.

Share This Page