Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Seedhouse, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I've recently had it pointed out by a tutor, that I play with a smiley embouchure rather than an unhappy embouchure if that makes sense (only way I could describe it on here!), and that it's the big cause of my trouble with my upper register.
    So i'm trying to change it, and although I should be alright changing it (I hope!), I was wondering whether any one else had problems that they needed sorting with their embouchure?
  2. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I think what he's saying is generally, your mouth is too tight to begin with.

If a car in 3rd ger flat out can only achieve 30klicks, what good will 4th do?
  3. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I have a feeling who might have told you that, although I won't say who I think it was.

Anyway, the reason I say that is because apparantly I play with a smiley embrochure, and that I should consider changing it.

By playing with a smile you potentially reduce the size of your open mouth when buzzing. It could potentially therefore cause problems with your airflow.

Personally I wouldn't change it unless you really feel there is a problem with how you play now. My upper-registry has never been great, but a well-supported breath can help a lot in improving your high notes.

I've found also that trying to change my embrochure from a smile is more difficult than I imagined. So for the time-being I'm sticking.
  4. blondey

blondey New Member

i have the reverse problem...i'm a pouter! :(

i often find that when trying to play high wee bits of air escape from the sides of my lips. i've tried changing, but it duffs everything else up. it's not always a problem, just when i'm really knacked. :oops:
  5. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I definately need to change it if I want to get to where I'm aiming, and music college in between. It's definately a problem that needs fixing so i'll have to change it.
    Anyone know how long it'll take!? :?
  6. skweeky

skweeky Member

first of all, i have been told many a time by a number of people from the best bands in the country that smiling or frowning are not the ideal way to hold your embouchure.

Imagine a bicycle wheel :lol: and the middle of it is your mouth. the spokes holding it firm are muscles around your mouth. Each spoke around the wheel is holding equal amounts of pressure and the wheel turns perfectly. If you hold your embouchure in a similar, even, way- both your lips will work equally and controlled!! :lol:

it may take some time to change your embouchure. dont fret when you cannot play how you were able to play before, there may be a significant difference, but stick at it for a couple of weeks and the muscles in your lips will start to work properly again :lol:
  7. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Cheers Skweeky, that's a very helpful post! :wink:
    I''ve begun to change it now, I just need to be patient and not expect improvement to happen overnight now. But i'll stick at it.