Elliemay, a brave little girl

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by Maestro, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

If this is in the wrong place mods, can you please move it to a suitable place and make it a sticky please?

Before I start, I must warn you that if you click on the link below, there are, what I found to be disturbing pictures. If you are easily upset, then it may not be best for you to view the link, but instead just take time to read the fewish words that I type please.

A work mate of my partner has a young daughter. She was diagnosed, too late, I am afraid with meningitis. As a result, this young baby has had all her limbs amputated.
    The cost of getting new limbs for the child is around 100k. A lot of money to try and raise I think you will agree.
    I am thinking about trying to get a scratch band together in the Romford area sometime, possibly in the new year, to put on a light hearted concert and the funds raised to go to Ellie May.
    If anybody is interested in being part of the band, can you please post here or pm me.

Once again, I must warn that some people may find the pictures on the website disturbing. I know I did. I have a daughter just a few months older than Ellie May, and I can't even begin to imagine what the whole family must be going through.

Anyway, enough from me, please view the site here. All offers of help and ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Kev

http://www.elliemay.info/

2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

What a wonderful brave little girl.

Count me (percussion) and Aardvark (cornet) in for the concert Kev.

3. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Cheers Matt and your better half :tup

4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Count me in Kev. I'm quite happy to help out in any way I can, whether it be playing (Eb Bass), compering, or selling raffle tickets.

:tup

5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Many thanks Roger :tup

6. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Hi Kev

Checked the pictures after we spoke yesterday. Words are not adequate enough, when you see the pictures it makes you count your blessings.

You know you have my full support in playing or any other capacity.

7. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

8. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

count me in mate, only to glad to help.
    would it be a good idea to make this our TMP concert for this year??

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Depending on the date, I'd gladly help out, instrument to be decided nearer the time! Something like this really puts our own minor troubles in perspective.

10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Depending on where and when I should be up for this. My friend's son contracted meningitis a year ago and suffered brain damage and total hearing loss.

If you go ahead with the concert it's worth containg the Meningitis Research Foundation, I'm sure they'd be interested to know what you're doing, they always like to raise awareness.
    BMB
    xx

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Elliemay
    size
    color
    time
    cost of getting new limbs
  12. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Kev,

you can count me in, subject to dates of course!
    Happy to help.

13. LipService

LipService Member

Hi all. Lipservice here (maestro's more significant but less musically talented other!)

I would just like to elaborate a little on Kev's original post if I may.

I work with Ellie May's parents and grandmother. As many have remarked, what has happened to that 17-month old baby girl is little short of horrific. Ellie's grandmother has told me that she is a child who possesses extraordinary bravery - as do the members of her family.

Ellie battled against meningicchocal septicaemia for 6 weeks - and now the battle begins for her family to raise the funds, to provide Ellie with the best prosthetic limbs available and because of Ellie's age, these limbs will have to be adjusted/replaced to encompass her rapid growth. As Ellie's grandmother has said, it's simply not an option to provide her with limbs, then take them away because it is too expesive. To which end, a Discretionary Fund has been legally set up for Ellie - this is NOT a charity, but an Appeal Fund.

Ellie will need huge financial, emotional and physical support for the rest of her life. It is a mammoth task and already £17,000 has been raised through local donations, raffles and local events. Ellie's story has appeared in local and national papers and magazines and I believe there is a documentary being filmed about Ellie, with the purpose of highlighting the symptoms and dangers of meningitis.

I would like to thank all those in the banding world, both on and off this forum who have pledged their time to help raise money for Ellie and would urge those of you who havent yet visited the website, to do so.

www.elliemay.info

As Kev said, there are disturbing pictures on this site.

Kind regards

Emma x

14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Count me in too.

15. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I would like to do anything I can to help.

I'll happily sit and play cornet anywhere on the back row, subject to it being a weekend date (have to drive round the M25 from Sussex).

16. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Count me in for any gig for this - there but for the grace of god go all of us who are parents.

17. ratley

ratley Member

Count me in for this please.

18. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

What instrument can I put you down for please?

19. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Do I get a choice of what I play? lol!!!

You wanted to put me down years ago for my bass playing mate! :biggrin:

20. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer Member

No problem, I'll be there. Back row cornet if required, indeed, if required just to arrange the seats & put the stands up!
    Anyone who needs a lift from the Midlands, please get in touch.

21. ratley

ratley Member

Front or back row cornet for me - I don't even mind sitting next to WhatSharp!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Elliemay
    size
    color
    time
    cost of getting new limbs