Elfried - George Swift arr Alan Catherall

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BbBill, Jan 18, 2008.

1. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Anybody know where I can get a hold of this euph solo?

On the Black Dyke 150yr CD it said it said it was published by Prima Vista Musikk, but their site aint showing anything! Just wondered if anybody knew on here 1st before I contacted the publisher!

Cheers! :tup

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I can't confirm this although it did say (on the sleevenotes) at the time of Bob Child's recording at the 1995 National Finals Gala Concert that it was in manuscript format.

3. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Thanks Tom, was just wondering how it would sound on BBb Bass for a laugh!! The ending would need abit of work tho.....!!!!

Need something else to get my teeth into, getting alittle tired of Blue Bells of Scotland!!

4. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

my dad's been after it for a while and has spoken to a few people and the last he heard was that its going to be published soon! That was a couple of months ago tho!

chris

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- so I take it your high register is extending upwards again to a high A (... you know, the one above top C) this time? :eek:

- sheet music samples here

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Oh, I found that to get the soundclips to play, try 'save target as' and save/open or open! ;)

7. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

George Swift was a phenomenal cornet player. I heard several recordings a number of years ago, including his performance of this solo. Would love to get hold of those now. In my opinion they were very special and would astound even by todays standards.

Anyone else ever hear him?

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- John, see my post above, the samples are actually complete performances (of the ones I've listened to so far!).

http://abel.hive.no/trompet/swift/

9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I covered quite a few octaves in Blue Bells at the Scottish Solos a couple of years ago, popping in a top G (above top C) somewhere in the last cadenza!! Somebodys got to provide the bad comedy moments on BBb Bass!! :rolleyes:

Thats great info from the link Tom, cheers! It gives me a look at whats involved, it prob wont sound pretty with me trying it....!! :eek:

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've just checked the sheetmusic against the audio on the links ... the solo is complete! :cool: :tup

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    George Swift
    Elfried
    Alan Catherall Anybody
    Black Dyke
    Prima Vista Musikk
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

And the other sheetmusic for Sonia is complete too (although in the audio clip the piano part has been edited compared to the cues!).

13. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Yeh already followed it as I was listening to the CD!!

Seen on Steven Mead's Library on euphonium.net, its marked down as manuscript right enough.

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I've got the '95 Nationals CD and what stuck me then was how short a solo it was! You should listen to the audio on the site ... interesting to compare them with the other vintage recordings of that era (and before ... Jack MacIntosh, Herbert Clarke, Adelbert Del Staigers, Rafael Mendez etc.).

i.e., http://www.choicerecordings.com/cd3bm3.htm

15. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Yeh its only just over 3mins long!

Just listened to the track on that earlier link with George Swift, b***dy hell, thats amazing!!!

That CD looks a cracker too!

16. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I didn't go there before because of the reference to sheet music. It's a great site and the opportunity to hear playing like that again is a real treat. It's difficult to remember that back then it was all done in one take.

17. Danny

Danny New Member

Sounds great!

Willie

I will pop round and you can give me a performance! It could well sort my hangover out, or maybe not!

Good to see you yesterday!

Danny Sinclair
    Black Dyke

18. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Take it you polished off that Gin bottle then?! :biggrin:
    Think my playing would make your hangover worse and you'd probably fall over laughing!!! You'd be better coming over and helping me plaster the walls of my cottage, that'd help!! Ended up going out in the town last nite, so feeling poorly today too!

Yeh was good seeing you and Morv yesterday too, although Im sure a difficult day for everyone. We'll miss him.

Forgot to ask you about this piece yest, as it'll prob be in your library somewhere?! Anyway see yous at the Perth concert in March!