electronic Tunning........

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pete_The_Sop, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Pete_The_Sop

Pete_The_Sop Member

ok i dusted off my old electronic tuner yesterday and the batteries had died in it.......... after replacing them i need to set the calibration .....

now i have choice from 438 to 445
    default on tuner is 442 but i seem to remember using 443........

what should i set it to for standard brass band pitch?

2. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

440 usually cos it tunes to the tuned perc I think
  3. yoda

yoda Member

spot on chris :) good boy

better still, bin the tuner and use your ears ;-) eh chris :)
  4. Pete_The_Sop

Pete_The_Sop Member

ah ok see what do i know :( thanks for the help guys
  5. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

I think it depends alot on your band and conductor. Alot of the bands Ive played with in the past have tuned slightly sharp to make it sound that little bit brighter. As Chris points out though this can lead to problems if theres heavy tuned percussion involvement. Of course that does depend on what make the percussion gear is, as obviously American gear is tuned differently to the European gear. Best best would probably just be to ask your MD what he tunes to. :)
  6. JoeDrumTech

JoeDrumTech New Member

most percussion is tuned to 442. All adams stuff is and so is the yamaha stuff is. Premier percussion tends to be 442, but can differ if you order it to a custom pitch.
  7. Ali.Syme

Ali.Syme Member

Sometimes the whole band can be completely flat and you don't notice until the xylophone starts playing!

I maintain that my tuner can't beep for the right tuning - I think it's impossible. Maybe the manufacturers wanted me to suffer for 20 minutes every gig trying to get the red light on...but it's always out :mad: