Electronic Lyres

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Does anybody know if there is such a thing as a 'pad' type computer that you can attach to your instrument to use instead of using a lyre. Would make it easier to change pieces while marching, you could have all the marches saved and have a row of buttons to press the right button for the appropriate march to appear. Would probably be a bit expensive though and too big for cornets.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It would also, no doubt, be very heavy to cart around :!:

If anyone watched the prom broadcast of the Ligeti violin concerto, the soloist there had a similar device, and having seen the score I don't think she could have coped with all the page-turns otherwise :lol:
  3. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I saw that... she had pedals by her feet to turn the page forward and back. Made me wonder how soloists had coped before!

Anyway, can't think that it would be possible to make anything light enough for marching, and being a trombone player we rarely get a free hand to press buttons so I don't think it would do us too much good anyway...
  5. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

wouldn't be a problem on a march though!

and you can get very light computers. it's just a case of paying for them!
  6. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

I've often thought of something similar but as a full size stand type device for use particularly at outdoor concerts to prevent the problem of bits of music being blown away.

The biggest problem you'd encounter for anything like this for outdoor use would be brightness and glare. You're not going to be able to see much of the music if the sun is shining full on to it.

Cheers, Greg.