Electronic keyboards and Sibelius

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DaveR, Jan 23, 2006.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Does anybody out there use an electronic (piano style) keyboard with Sibelius?

If so, how do you connect the two together? :confused:

I'm thinking about getting a keyboard (I use Sibelius a lot and I've used it for a long time, but to date only by using the mouse and qwerty keyboard). Is there a "minumum spec" keyboard that can be used with Sibelius?
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... depends on what level of keyboard you are looking for e.g., touch sensitive, controllers etc. You would need a MIDI interface to connect the keys to the PC as well (USB connectors have been available for a while now). I use the Audigy Platinum with daughter board, which has various in/outputs accessible from the front of the tower. A good selection of keyboards to look at is below ...

- reliable starter information at link below ...

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I've got a Roland digital piano which we bought long before I got Sibelius. I just connected the Midi port to the sound card with a lead I got for about £5 from Forsyth's on Deansgate. You will need a MIDI compatible soundcard, lead and any basic midi keyboard - as long as it's got MIDI ports it will work. I'm not an accurate enough pianist to play music into Sib in real time but I find that using the piano and the keypad is a lot quicker than the qwerty keyboard.
  4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

USB midi cables from pcworld
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

An example of such a joystick / MIDI cable can be found here but as has been said can probably be found much cheaper than this. Depending on your soundcard you may find that it needs a daughterboard as Brassneck has already said, or separate bracket - e.g. the 'old' Audigy card used to have the joystick port on a separate bit of metalwork that takes up one of the holes reserved for PCI expansion boards on the back of the PC.
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

AFAIK you still need a MIDI interface to connect to a PC, something like the Midisport 1x1 . I use the 8x8 version (8 in 8 out) - they're OK, but initially there were issues with timing relative to a serial interface.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I connected a 15 year old Yamaha PSR90 to to sibelius via the usual connectors - red and white cables into the keyboard, and a 1/4 inch jack into the sound card. YOu can probably make better connections, but I tried one and it worked.

I found that the "live playback/recording" on Sib2 was so sensitive that it recorded what I played far too accruately, and by the time I'd tidied up the notes produced, it was quicker to input dircetly from the PC keyboard.

A newer keyboard may have features to counter this!
  9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

You can change the input sensitivity (from memory I think it's called quantization) so that Sib rounds up your playing to the nearest quaver or semiquaver. The first time I played something in I had quantization turned off and got a load of syncopated, tied, demisemiquavers when I thought I was playing crotchets.:shock:
  10. timbloke

timbloke Member

I connected mine with a cable I bought for about £20 from a music shop, also came with a simple bit of "studio" software that I've never really used. My problem is that there is a delay in what I play and it appearing in sibelius, I'm sure it is something to do with the Midi settings, or possibly the computer? But the piano is a Daewoo! the made piano's for about 5 mins and then went bust. So the instructions are in an English translated from Korean via German, quite funny to read, but makes no sense. I therefore only really use it as a replacement to the Qwerty input, and it works well.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- you can adjust the latency in playback and input devices.
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I did try that, but as the keyboard predated touch sensitive types by at least two years, and before PCs in the home were common place (let alone decent music software!) it didn't make much difference.