Election to the BFBBs committees

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Mar 31, 2005.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

The BFBBs press release about their agm includes this sentence:

"Anyone interested in being elected into office are encouraged by the The British Federation of Brass Bands, to seek nomination from either their own band (if a member of BFBB) or a Brass Band Association. "

ANYONE?? Don't they have to be a member? The implication of the above sentence is that they don't. If I was a BFBB member I don't think I'd be very happy about that!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... I think you answered your own question in the quote ;)
  3. James Yelland

Well, not really. A candidate can seek a nomination from his/her band if it happens to be a BFBB member. But the way the sentence is worded suggests that if a bandsman who belongs to a band which isn't a member (and therefore can't nominate him/her), he/she should seek a nomination from a brass band association. And I don't see anything in the sentence which suggests that in that instance the bandsman him/herself has to be a personal member of the BFBB. Indeed, as the sentence begins, "ANYONE interested in being elected....etc.

Mind you, this is probably largely academic, as I see from the same article that any nominations need to be made in writing to the General Secretary by Saturday, 2nd April. Given that this press release was only published late on Wednesday, 30th March, and allowing for the shortcomings of the postal service, that doesn't leave much time to get your nomination in!
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... the quote you used I read on 4BR, and unless it was a direct uplift from the circulated letter to secretaries can maybe be interpreted as a misquote? To be elected for any organisation isn't it commonsense that a person should be a member? As you said, it is academic! ;)
  5. James Yelland

Commonsense? Absolutely! But do we associate the BFBB we common sense, or indeed, competence? There are two versions of the press release on the 4BarsRest newsdesk separated by one day - the second duplicates the info given in the first, with some extra info tacked on. Which suggests to me that perhaps someone at the Federation didn't think things through before hitting the send button the first time. And isn't this the same BFBB which only a few weeks ago issued another press release with the wrong date for the Whit Friday contest and only issued a correction when someone pointed the mistake out to them? I think so!

The other point to make is that this invitation to potential nominees has been made by a public announcement to the general (banding) public - not in a private communication to it's members. More evidence that, as the message says, anyone can stand for election.

Over to you!
  6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

"seek nomination from either their own band (IF a member of BFBB) OR a Brass Band Association"........

thing is, the banding public MAY actually be interested to know about these things... some people complain about NOT knowing about this kinda stuff... I find it nice to know what's happening with these matters... it's interesting..... it's just a PR... just like a band PRs about a load of stuff as well....
    So what eh? It's just to let us know... isn't it...

No... anyone can be nominated IF they ARE a MEMBER of the BFBB OR a Brass Band Association. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

As the saying goes, a liitle knowledge is dangerous and a lot is humbling! I never knew that association bands were not officially notified about the AGM, and it is strange that the BFBB should use a website to announce it, considering that there are many people who are not yet connected to the internet. That reduces announcements to hearsay or rumour for those who don't have access ... not exactly ideal for a democratic process. To have a voice in the BFBB, the area association must have membership. As shown by the recent Ibstock affair, that particular association withdrew their membership because of the legal action taken by the BFBB. To say that they can still go forward to be represented in the BFBB committee is, to me, a non-starter! So, in my opinion, although there is ambiguity in the statement (the either/or part) ... logically it makes sense that election to the commitee is a members-only decision.
  8. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Isn't General Secretary one of the positions that they are inviting nominations for?

9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

thing is, with the amount of time left to get nominations in, I can only guess that the Associations were already notified.... but who knows... I dont... just guessing :biggrin:

Surprising how many people do actually have the net though... and those who dont soon hear about the gossip and rumours ;-)
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... still classed as second-hand information though! Maybe the statement wasn't clearly written? What if this was meant ... "Anyone interested in being elected into office are encouraged by the The British Federation of Brass Bands, to seek nomination from either their own band or a Brass Band Association. Either must be a member of the BFBB to qualify"
  11. James Yelland

I can see we are going to have to agree to differ on the interpretation of the words - and, of course, I am playing devils advocate here. My motive is simply to highlight the fact that the BFBB do seem to get their knickers in a twist rather a lot - which is a great pity as I feel as though I want to support them. I just wish they would get their act together!
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... that appears to be the case! ;)

Either band or association can choose to be a member or not. Just because an association chooses not be part of the BFBB doesn't stop a band from being linked and vice-versa.
  13. James Yelland

Stranger still that it doesn't use it's own website to announce it!
  14. James Yelland

Do you know, I think Naruco was right - gossip and chit-chat which appears here gets results! The Federation website belatedly posted notification of the AGM at about lunchtime today.

FURTHERMORE - it is publishing a notice from Channel Four who are looking for some brave bandsman to spend four weeks with them to appear in their Faking It programme, all expenses paid. Details at:

Form an orderly queue, now.
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... LOL! Are they looking for a possible adjudicator-in-training???? (apart from today's date that tells me another ... ;) )

p.s., try googling 0207 013 4296 and see what it brings! :rolleyes:
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

17. James Yelland

Oh dear, have I missed something here?! I know the date, of course, but if this is an April Fool it isn't a very good one! The whole point of April Fool pranks is that they include an element of unbelievability - such as a 75 minute test piece, for example. This one sounds entirely believable to me - RDF is a real company as is the programme, which does indeed take people from one environment and put them into an alien one.

I've re-read the statement and can't see any obvious clues, and it definitely doesn't sound like the sort of language the BFBB uses - it would suggest that the Federation has a previously unknown sense of humour!

If I've been suckered along with the BFBB and 4BR, so be it, but I plead not guilty to the charge of credulity!
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

First of all, the statement gives a starting date for filming on the 4th April but gave 2 weeks for the organisation to find a suitable candidate. The advert only appeared on April Fool's day! You can apply to become part of the series but the website doesn't have any criteria, only contact details. You would have to be extravert and outgoing to survive in front of the cameras and production team, don't you think? (... not shy as the advert wants the winner to be).
  19. James Yelland

I can confirm that the request for someone to appear on the programme Faking It is indeed genuine, and not an April Fool (because I phoned them).

When in doubt, check the facts - and trust your own judgement!

As I said a few posts ago, form an orderly queue!
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... did you ask about the dates given on the BFBB and 4BR sites? The programme, as I stated, has contact details but no timescale or types of skills required. Why would 4barsrest publicise it on the 1st of April if filming was to start on the 4th? :rolleyes:

["You will need to be able to take 4 weeks off from the 4th April, during which time we will be able to cover your rent or mortgage and all expenses while filming with us. We only have 2 weeks to find someone so the sooner the better."]