Election Time - Who is best for Brass?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by snazzy_cornet_sound, Apr 29, 2010.

1. As everyone knows it is close to election time, what are your views on the policies of the future PM's and who would be best for the Brass Band movement?
  2. still learnin

still learnin Member

Re the policies of the potential PMs there's a whole thread on that in the forums under random chat. As to who would be best for the brass band movement..... that could be the decider! Let's hope someone in the audience asks that tonight!! :rolleyes:
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I'd expect them all to savagely cut the funding of the arts in general - of which we are traditionally on the hind teat anyway.

I doubt any of them have even been to a brass recital to tell you the truth.....
  4. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Nick Clegg was at one of our Christmas engagements in Sheffield cathedral (in aid of McMillan cancer trust) with his family last year - but no-one knew who he was back then :biggrin:
  5. Beesa

Beesa Member

There is an all party House of Commons Brass Band Group:

Look up the list of MP in the group and think about keeping them in. Better still, telephone Jeff Ennis, who set the group up:

Jeff Ennis MP, Constituency Office, Acorn Centre, 51 High Street, Grimethorpe, Barnsley S72 7BB. Tel: 01226 712246

and ask his advice. He will certainly let you know who is good for the cause.

This matter may seem trivial in the scheme of things but your vote is as good as anybody's and if Brass Bands are a large part of your life then it is well worth considering how you use your vote.

None of them !They all put petrol and beer up,two of the main things that affect Brass Banders.:mad:
  7. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

........also and as someone has mentioned in another thread, there is a census mext year, so if we all put inn the Religion box and say 'Brass Bander' and if they collect at least 10,000 of these, they have to recognise it as a religion!!!
  8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Great plan, but are there 10,000 banders left?
  9. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Isn't that the Midlands 4th section? ;)
  10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I said banders....
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

12. brassbandmaestro

If we include supporters as well, eh?
  13. Beesa

Beesa Member

The idea of putting brass bands as a religion is probably not a bad one.

If players consider the amount of time and dedication that is put to your band during the run up to the Regionals alone, it will probably be more than to the church or religion for the whole year.

As an illustration, this year there were over 500 bands competing in the Regional Championships. Perhaps securing 20 members of each band to state Brass Bands as their religion is pushing it a bit.

There is nearly another 40 bands on the register that didn't compete. I also winder what the ration of competing bands is to non-competing bands? In our immediate area it is about 50-50 and the non-competing bands are just as dedicated.

This might be a good thread to explore nearer the time of the census!

Thinking about it, it is a bit daft because even any league football team can probably rustle up 20,000 of its supporters each week. And all that lot ever do is watch others playing footy and drink beer. Although most of us do drink beer.
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  14. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Not Green...50% increase on Booze tax!?
  15. brassbandmaestro

There needs to be a seperate party for banders.
  16. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

On that note, BBM.... The most honest election speech I've ever heard.

"And if I am elected, I promise the formation of a new party! A Better Party! The Wild Party!

I know we have problems. We got problems right here in central city. We have problems in the north, south, east and west. New York City, Saint Louis, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago.

Everybody has problems.

And personally.... I don't care...."

Alice Cooper. Legend. :metal:

(Sight more coherent than George W ever was too....)
  17. BoBo

BoBo Member

One can go off people...........................
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  18. Owen S

Owen S Member

The best result for The Egham Band is a hung parliament - we get paid every time our band hall is used as a polling station.
  19. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I nearly did ask in my school mock elections just to throw them...but decided not to....
  20. still learnin

still learnin Member

Did the results of your school's mock election mirror the national outcome?