Eisteddfod 2006

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by postie, Aug 1, 2006.

1. postie

postie Member

I noticed this weekend is the 2006 Eisteddfod being held in Swansea. Having spent the last couple of years enjoying the contest but not understanding a word of what was being said. Which bands are competing this year?

2. winterman

winterman Member

Ah, now that could explain why I kept flicking over to SC4 a couple of months ago to the Urdd Eisteddfod expecting to see some brass bands and there weren't any!

What day is it this year or is it all weekend?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  3. postie

postie Member

4th, 3rd, and 2nd section on Saturday. The joint 1st and Championship section on Sunday all live on S4C.

4. winterman

winterman Member

Great thanks, will help pass the time whilst I work away on our band website (yes I'm finally getting round to doing it again!)

5. jim

jim Member

I know Treherbert are going also Markham and herd possable Burry Port??

any others....

6. Deano

Deano Member

Tylorstown are going in 2nd section, I think Blaenavon are going in the 3rd, don't know of anyone else though.

7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Errm, no. The Urdd Gobaith Cymru doesn't run a band contest to my knowledge. The Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Cymru is every August. Sections 3 & 4 are on Saturday 5 August, 2 & 1 on Sunday 6th. Details here

8. Vic

Vic New Member

Actually bands can enter the Urdd Eisteddfod, I remember competing years ago. It's open to bands and orchestras under 25yrs. Don't think it wold be televised though...

9. horny pixie

horny pixie New Member

sections 4, 3 and 2 are definately on saturday section 2 was moved from sunday a few months ago, the youth eisteddfod does include youth bands
    The eisteddfod is a great contest to enter and its fun to be a part of the only televised contest in the uk

10. rebecca

rebecca Member

Yes bands and orchestras can compete in the Urdd Eisteddfod, have played and conducted there myself. i'm not sure whether it is televised though it may be on digital. As for the National Eisteddfod well that is a great contest what with being televised and just all in all a great day out.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Eisteddfod 2006
    performance
    internet
    Thanks
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

Pretty sure it was on both this year.

As for the National Eisteddfod, unfortunately we at Deiniolen won't be there this year. We can only manage, AND AFFORD, one trip to Swansea in 12 months - and having been seriosuly busy preparing for a CD recording last weekend, we're on a well-earned three week break.

Good luck to all bands competing this w/end - will be glued to the telly.

13. Horny Dentist

Horny Dentist Member

We are going this year - not sure if there are any other championship bands goin - I think there are another 4/5 1st section bands going. The Urdd Conteset isn't televised as it's carried out in a concert set up on the Friday evening of the Urdd Eisteddfod - there are usually highlights of it on the next day. Last time I remember a youth brass band competing there was around 1998/9 and the band was from Treorchy way.

14. Vic

Vic New Member

Yeah that would be the year Treorchy Comp band won! As for this year's eisteddfod & championsip bands, I know for definite that Treherbert is going, and I'd heard that Beuamaris is too.

15. stopher

stopher Member

Don;t think Beaumaris are going - not unless I've been sacked between now and last sunday - probably the way I was playing!!!!

Bex is right about the National Eisteddfod being "a great contest what with being televised and just all in all a great day out" especially now that there is a bar. Not sure about the £3 a pint though - thought I was in London last year not Bangor!

16. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I don't think we are going , I think the Royal Oakley are the only North Wales band to enter this year , we don't even have a group entering the chamber ensemble group competition :( would have been good to defend the titles we won last year , never mind..always next year
    Any bands sending any groups to the chamber competition?? it was well represented by bands last year with Eryri Brass ( BAYV , Dyke and YBS players) , Deniolen and Beaumaris all sent groups , it has had BTMX entering in previous years...

17. rebecca

rebecca Member

hey Eryri Brass also included members of Menai Bridge Band and Beaumaris. Will have to enter again next year and see if we can give your lot a run for their money, lol.

18. Vic

Vic New Member

Oops sorry - was just a rumour anyway.

On a separate point Dyl, can't you claim back your travelling expenses for the eisteddfod? I'm pretty sure we normally do when travelliing up. Just asking cos I mentioned this to my new band the other day and they hadn't heard of it.

19. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yes you can, but that only covers the actual travelling costs - to do yourselves justice (because of a possible early start) we'd also need to stay overnight - and having had to fork out the same for the area only a couple of months ago, I'm afraid it just wasn't possible for us this year. We would have loved to have taken part, but will defo be competing at next year's event.

20. Vic

Vic New Member

Fair point. Where is next year's gonna be by the way? Not Penbedw I take it ; - )

21. dyl

dyl Active Member

Next year's will be just outside Mold.

As for this year's, those who haven't got access to S4C Digital, I'm pretty sure it can be viewed online, the audio will definitely be available via BBC Radio Cymru website, and the full broadcast may also be available on either the BBC Cymru or S4C sites - I'll post more details tomorrow if I can find them.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Eisteddfod 2006
    performance
    internet
    Thanks