Effects Processors And Silent Brass?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphmaster, Apr 17, 2007.

1. euphmaster

euphmaster New Member

Hi Gang...

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully hooked their Silent Brass systems up to an effects processor of some sort. I'm working on an electronica project right now, and it would be great to get my euph hooked up to some sweet digital effects.

If you know what equipment I need, other than the Silent Brass, please let me know! Thanks!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Silent Brass
    Hi Gang
    Effects Processors
    Silent Brass systems
    sweet digital effects
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Should be able to send the line out from the Silent Brass straight to the input of any effects box, though I am not 100% sure of the connectors used on the unit. I guess that you'd need to go from 3.5mm stereo jack (headphone output on Silent Brass) to either two mono 1/4" jack sockets (if you want to process stereo channels separately) or to a single 1/4" stereo jack socket.

This is the 3.5mm Stereo to 2 * 3.5mm Mono connector and goes into the Silent Brass;
    [​IMG]

... then take this to the left and right channels of your effects box (you may need two leads 3.5mm mono to 1/4" mono) from each opf the mono channels to your effects unit such as the superb Korg Kaoss Pad 3 or Mini Kaoss Pad 3. These effects units are awesome and can apply a myriad of effects to any input signal in real time. I have a Kaoss Pad II and it's fantastic.

NB: The Kaoss Pad uses standard Phono Stereo Jack sockets so you'd need something like this to connect the Silent Brass to a Kaoss Pad.
    [​IMG]

How's that...?

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Yamaha themselves make just such a box of tricks. It is called the ST5 and is used in conjunction with a Silent Brass mute. As well as producing natural sound it also provides a wide range of effects, including delay, echo, flange, wah-wah, transposes up and down and plays two notes simultaneously and loads more.

5. TheMusicMan

Nice one James, I didn't know that. Here's a pic of that...
    [​IMG]
    ... roughly £170-£200 on most musician product /teckie sites.

6. BrianT

BrianT Member

I bought a Silent Brass system for my trumpet some years ago. The sound quality though headphones is just about OK for practising with (bit hissy I think), but I think the hiss would make it unusable through a PA or for recording. Added to which, you wouldn't normally perform with a practice mute in, because it changes the feel of the instrument. I reckon you'd get far better audio quality using a regular microphone. That way the audience get the benefit of your "live" sound as well as the modified sound. Also, you can play using normal acoustic mutes and modify their sound, which you couldn't do with a Silent Brass mute in your bell. Just my tuppence worth.

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Depends what you're trying to achieve - it could get a whole lot more complicated doing it this way....but you're right it probably is more flexible.

Edit: Can't remember - does it have a line out as well as a headphone out? Occasionally you find that headphone outputs can be more noisy (i.e. hissy ;) ) than line outputs.

8. euphmaster

euphmaster New Member

What I Ordered

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm going to try out the FX hookup with the system below. It got mixed reviews, but it's cheaper than most FX systems out there, and has a modulating petal built in. It's also meant for voice FX which i think is more suitable for what I'm trying to do, and given the range of the euph.

If the Silent Brass pickup mute doesn't work out, I can always just use a mic like BrianT said.

I'm also going to check out that ST5, James. That looks promising, and all I would have to do is bypass a wah pedal to work the FX some more.

Here's what I ordered:

[​IMG]

9. KMJ Recordings

Now there's a loaded statement ;)

10. euphmaster

euphmaster New Member

I went ahead and ordered the Yamaha ST5 as well. I'm going to test both the Digitech 300, and the ST5, see which I like better, keep it, and send the other back.

The video on Yamaha's website showed a bone player using the ST5, and it seemed like it was worked well as a tool for live playing. I'm looking forward to trying them out!

11. Jasper

Jasper Member

I've got an ST5 (which I bought originally for my Sax as an effects box about 5 years ago - which I obviously used with a clip on Sax mic). When I started playing cornet/trumpet again a couple of years ago I just plugged a Silent Brass mute into it and hey presto !

I've got the ST5 hooked into a Creative Sound Blaster box - then into my PC and use Acoustica Mixcraft (www.acoustica.com) mixing s/w to record, edit and mix down. The s/w has stacks of effects you can use as well as the effects on the ST5. Useful if you want to record yourself - I have a number of Music minus one type backing tracks which I have recorded onto a mixcraft track- then I have recorded the solo/lead parts over using the ST5/Creative set-up - edited then mixed down and doesnt sound too bad at all. My partner who pops her head into my study every now and again doesnt believe its me on the tracks I have recorded - as she is so used to hearing me play normally with a real 'dead' sound in the study unaccompanied.

The output from the ST5 is via the headphones socket - line in to the Creative box -but hiss free for me.

Good fun !!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Silent Brass
    Hi Gang
    Effects Processors
    Silent Brass systems
    sweet digital effects
  13. euphmaster

euphmaster New Member

Thought I'd post a quick update on my electronic ventures...

I'm currently using a combination of the Yamaha ST5, and the Digitec vocal FX processor. Everything has been pretty awsome, and it gives such a different spin on the instrument i play (euph). People dig it at our shows.

GoneElectric - Euphmaster

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

For lower brass, try bridging a chorus pedal in the set-up. Some amazing sounds can be produced this way.

15. TheMusicMan

... or even through a band pass filter (using a KAOSS Pad) for some awesome trance effects... ;)

16. BrianT

BrianT Member

I'm interested in the idea of using different instrumental controllers, and the particular phrasing you get using them. Case in point - the solo in Queen's "I want to break free". You know it's not a guitar sound, but you can tell it's being played on a guitar controller because of the vibrato and the phrasing. Or Jan Hammer sounding like a guitar because of his phrasing. The phrasing gives as much clue to the instrument as the sound, I think.

If you play a cello sound with a euphonium as the controller, do you still play with euph style, or do you mimic the cello inflections? I just wondered are the new sounds for extra colour, and listeners can still tell it's being played on a euph, or do you go the whole hog and try to imitate the stylistic quirks of the instrument that usually makes the sound?

17. KMJ Recordings

Erm....

Fred Mandel is a keyboard player - I've a feeling the keyboard was an OBXa, but could be wrong.

(OK, this quote is from Wikipedia - here - but both the rock score and other sources are indicative that it really is a synth...)

18. KMJ Recordings

Or, thinking about it, it might have been a Jupiter 8....can't remember :hammer