Effective Pedals in Montage (Where Written!)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Thirteen Ball, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Okay, to reassure all of you, I've read the 'can of worms' thread on pedalling where it's not written (http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12951) and I'm NOT going to start all that again.

What I'm asking for help on is playing pedals where it IS written! Warming up Montage for the senior cup, there's some precious low stuff written in at pretty high dynamics for BB basses. I've no problem producing a note down to a pedal C (although I do struggle to go below that,) but producing volume is another matter altogether.

There's a pedal B-natural at double-forte in the first movement, and even if I manage to hit it pitch-wise the effect is completely lost because I can't generate the volume necessary to hear the note. I'm quite a quiet player by nature which usually works well when pedalling as it doesn't overpower or un-balance things. (Pedal D-flat at the end of the second movement at pp is exactly my ballpark!) All you hear is a broader sound, not a monster pedal note. But without the bottom octave coming through in this particular piece the bass section can sound high and thin.

Being a chap of average build and 5'11" there's only so much air I can chuck down the instrument, and I was wondering if there was any other method I could use to umprove my low register?

Any and all pointers appreciated.

AC

2. MartinT

MartinT Member

Mr Fish, where are you????

I'm off BBb these days, but I remember finding that I could get more volume (and more range) by blowing *down* into the mouthpiece, instead of directly into it, as I had tried at first. Not sure if this is relevant to your case.

Thanks to Pete Cairns for that advice... does he still play, I wonder?

3. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

PM me matey, i'll point u in the right direction

4. Thirteen Ball

Yeah, pivot method, i seem to remember it's called. It works for range, but nothing at all comes out anywhere near convincingly below a C. I read about it in a book somewhere. Told me to keep my beard short too cos that can cock up really low stuff as it breaks the seal around your mouthpiece.

Oh, and it can't be my mouthpiece that's too small either cos I'm on a dennis wick 1XL!

5. Thirteen Ball

just thought, could it be too big though?

6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Beard shouldn't have much to do with it, my 'tach never gets "thinned" at all!

Pivot method should work tho, but there's no overnight secret really!

Size doesn't matter (in this case anyway!) but a 1XL isn't a huge mouthpiece, there are 50 bigger on my comparison chart (on my website). Shouldn't affect these notes tho, many good BBb players use a Bach 24AW which is smaller than your mouthpiece.

7. Thirteen Ball

Got one of them! Used to play Eb on it. Always felt a bit small for BB to me though.

50 mouthpieces larger than a wick 1XL?!!! Lord, what are they all?!! Any bigger and me whole head would fit down it!!

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... try a King 17924AW, combines Bach features with Wick design but has a bigger rim! Benefits are good control of volume, range, sound and price!!!

http://www.cgconn.com/pdf/brmthpcs.pdf