EEb Tuba Wanted

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by satchmolips, May 16, 2009.

1. satchmolips

satchmolips New Member

Keen 16 yr old needs and EEb Tuba. Would be interested in either a Besson or Yamaha Maestro. Second hand wanted but prepared to pay a sensible price. We are in Worcestershire. Anything considered.

Contact Geoff
  2. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Once again, I have no hesitation in recommending Mark Carter, otherwise known as Mr Tuba.

He's based in Cwmbran but if you give him a call (01633 871506) and tell hom what you're looking for he'll more often than not come up with the goods. He had a Yamaha Maestro a few weeks ago when I visited him but suspect it might have gone by now.
  3. on_castors

on_castors Member

I would suggest the word "sensible" be carefully defined.

£4300/4500 for a reworked Sovereign seems to be the rate I am seeing bandied about, and about £2500 for one that is in need of a lot of love and attention as well as a new case; but sensible isn't in any sentence I would use to describe either!
    Under 2K seems to involve something with a small bore and a 15" bell!

I keep saying it, but I only wish I had bought a shed-load of old Imperials and Sovereigns when they were being turfed out of bandrooms to be replaced with tin-can newer lottery period Sovereigns :-(
  4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Just over a year ago I privately bought a beautiful 1982 manufactured 19" bell reconditioned Besson New Standard EEb Bass in 99% mint condition for £1200.

Large bore mouthpiece pipe, and only 3 very minor dints, none at all on the bottom bow.

It's exactly the same style, shape and size as a Sov but complete with all the guard plates on the bends and bows that have been ditched from modern instruments.

It's a gem and plays like a dream.

So good instruments can be had for a reasonable price if you keep your eyes and ears open.

- Wilkie
  5. on_castors

on_castors Member

I think getting something like that now is dependant on someone NOT knowing the true value - something like that went for I think about 1800 quid a few weeks back on Ebay, (small bore!) and to be honest they are rare anyway now.

BBflat tubas are sensible sums, but EE flats aren't! :-(
  6. TubaGeek

TubaGeek Member

I used to play a Yamaha EEb bass which I rented from Devon Music Service for £20 a year (It was classed as a 'special instrument' along with Euphoniums, French horns, Double basses, trombones, oboes and bassoons). Good condition and came with a case. I don't know if they offer the same service in your area, but it might be worth a try!