EEb bass gig bags

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Eb Ben, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Eb Ben

Eb Ben New Member

Greetings all!

I play a yamaha maestro EEb bass, with a 19" bell and a 35" body. As you may or may not know, finding an EEb bass gig bag to fit a 19" bell is quite hard - they all seem to have bell sizes of 18" or 22".
    So my question to you all is this:
    Does anyone know of a good gig bag that will fit my instrument, and how much I could expect to pay for it?
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ben

2. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Hi Ben,

I was in touch with Ritter recently but they couldn't tell me whether their 18" or 22" bag would be appropriate for the Besson EEb that I play. Their suggestion was to find a local stockist and try them out (which I'll do when I get some spare time). Unfortunately, it seems that most stockists will only order up tuba gig bags as they need them so this might not be the easiest thing to do.

For what it's worth, the Ritter bags (assuming they fit) retail at around the £90 mark.

I posted here last week hoping that there would be some tuba players out there who could help. Where are you all? Three (including the one reply to my thread) tuba players all needing help :)

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... why not try googling "19" bell tuba gig bag"? There are a good collection of bags to choose from at varying prices! :wink:

4. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Band Supplies in Glasgow is run by bass players, so I reckon they must be worth a call....

5. Eb Ben

Eb Ben New Member

Hi guys again.
    Many thanks for the help - if there are any more suggestions I would be pleased to hear them.
    Bruce - I already got in tough with Ritter - the 18" bags are too small for my "mighty" 19" bell - never mind. Thanks for the advice though. If I remember correctly, bessons have an 18" bell, so yours will probably fit (but please dont quote me on that!)
    Thanks again guys!
    Ben

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I used to have a Rhino case - that was for definitely a 19" bell. Best "soft case" I've ever come across.

7. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

I've been using a Vincent Bach BBb Gig Bag for my Sovereign EEb for about 5 years now and haven't had any problems with dents or bumps. (Yet!!:D)
    There is a bit of extra space between the bottom of the instrument and the bag, (The bag was originally bought to transport my Contra Bass G Bugle (about the same size as a BBb)) but this has come in handy for packing spare clothes on weekends away. (eg. Pontins!!:D)

8. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Have a look at this link, it says Bb gig bag, but it lists all different sizes, Im sure the EEb should fit in the 19"x36" bag. Was thinking on getting one from this crowd (but just have never gotton round to it) cos of the bag pack straps and they look not too bad, maybe alittle pricy tho, 300 odd squids!

They used to be called Brass Business, but looks like theyve changed their name since I was last on their site. They used to do alot more instruments too, but they seemed to have cut back, they did have Courtois EEb and BBb tubas for sale, at least £1400 cheaper for the EEb than here!! :eek:

Or have a look at Reunion Blues gig bags here, they have a bag for an EEb, rucksack stylely too!

Hope this helps! :tup

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The Soundwear bag looks ideal for the Maestro 632, as it's bell and bottom bow is thinner than other tubas and requires as much protection a holdall can give! I have one of the original LA Reunion Blues bags before their work was continued in Asia but still have reserves about the bell protection (no extra re-inforcement, i.e., hard shell), but this problem seems to be now catered for. Saying that, I have had more damage done to the instrument inside bandhalls with stands getting knocked against it than moving it about trains and buses. (Shoulders hurt after a while though!).

10. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

The Besson 982 that I play also has a "mighty 19" bell" :) The folks at Ritter wouldn't actually say the 18" bag was too small - just advised me to try it if possible - doh!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bass gig bags
    EEb
    yamaha maestro
    gig bag
    bell