Educate Me!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tubafreak, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Tubafreak

Tubafreak New Member

Well, as I've said previously,I'm new to tMP and not too familiar with brass bands in general.My only knowledge has been gained from the tv.Are brass bands like marching bands without those pesky woodwinds?Do you only play marches?I pretty much understand the instrumentation but I'm not too sure about the voicings.Is a soprano a piccolo trumpet?Are the euphonium parts different from baritone parts?Is the flugelhorn the same as our third trumpet?Are the tuba parts written in octaves where the basses play the top notes and the contrabasses play the bottom and pedal tones. I think it's great that brass bands are so prevailant in the UK, I'd kill for the chance to play in one over here.I'd even play the triangle just like my mentor,Private Baldrick.

2. flower girl

flower girl Member

hey, yes we do play marches but we play other stuff too, and we dont have trumpets we have cornets.

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Sort of... But hopefully a little more musically ambitious.

Noo... There's a large original literature for brass band, including works by some very well thought of composers (Elgar for example). Mostly we do just play cheese though...

Soprano Cornet = Cornet in Eb
    Piccolo Trumpet = Trumpet in Piccolo Bb

Yes. I know the terms Euphonium and Baritone are generally interchangeable in wind bands, but in (British-style) brass bands, there is one Euphonium part, played by two players (often divisi), and two Baritone parts, played by one player each. Euphonium is played on a Tenor Tuba, Baritone on a Saxhorn (i.e. with a less conical bore) of the same pitch.

No, it's a Treble Bb instrument of the same bore taper as a Tuba or Euphonium. It has a separate part in the band.

Four tubas in brass bands, two Eb, two BBb, covering two parts. The two parts, although often unison or in octaves, also often work independently, and are even divisi sometimes.

http://www.oregonbrass.org/ ;)

Does all that help?

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

5. Tubafreak

Tubafreak New Member

You've cleared that up quite nicely, thank you. As far as the flugelhorn goes:

Trumpet is to flugelhorn as baritone is to euphonium?

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Not quite.

Trumpet is to Cornet is to Flugelhorn
    as
    Valve Trombone is to Baritone is to Euphonium

Pretty much.

7. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Brass banding is the bestest and funniest thing ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER!! The social life is FANTASTIC! (eg: Today - I went to the British Open contest and heard some AMAZING bands aaaand saw loooads of people I knew again! :biggrin:) The sounds that come from bands are AMAZING and Be-a-utiful! Get youself in one!! :biggrin: I dont know where I'd be without them!! I love it!! :biggrin:

*cough* Band geek = me! *cough* ;):rolleyes:

:biggrin::bounce

8. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Lol couldn't have put it better! You haven't lived til you've played in a brass band!

9. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

You're just going to have to come over next year and play at something like the whit Friday Marches. What an introduction to British Banding that would be.

10. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

And what's wrong with woodwind?? ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    general.My
    voicings.Is
    tMP
    brass bands
    marching bands
  12. Tubafreak

Tubafreak New Member

Sorry about that woodwind crack. I was just funnin'.

13. Di

Di Active Member

Don't worry, so was he, hence the use of the ;)

14. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

And you really haven't lived until you have experienced the musical world outside as well:cool:

15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... like cars, clothes and hair colour, it's all a matter of personal opinion.

16. Magic Flute

So was I!! :)

17. Tubafreak

Tubafreak New Member

How do I stop receiving e-mails every time a post is made in a subscribed thread?

18. Magic Flute

Change the settings in your user CP to 'no notification'

19. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

"Are the euphonium parts different from baritone parts?"
    Yes! In any good music. :p

"Euphonium is played on a Tenor Tuba, Baritone on a Saxhorn of the same pitch." But with less of a range ;)

Consider yourself educated *nods*
    xx