Edric Cundell. Or was it Eric?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MoominDave, Oct 28, 2011.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The composer of the 1955 Nationals piece, 'Blackfriars', is given in various places as "Edric Cundell". Until today I'd never seen this unusual name questioned - but an item of anonymous feedback submitted to the brassbandresults website today states baldly:
    Doing a bit of Googling about, I find various biographical details (e.g. he died in 1961), also trustworthy-seeming sources that give his name as "Edric", and, further, other trustworthy-seeming sources that give it as "Eric"!

For what it's worth, there are far more Google hits for "Edric Cundell" (6750) than for "Eric Cundell" (only 184) [and all of those hits that I've glanced over seem to refer to this man - fortunately the name is a rare one].

One possible explanation is that he used both names at different points in his lifetime - maybe he was born Eric, but liked to use something that sounded more distinctive?
    Another is that someone somewhere assumed that "Edric" was a misspelling of "Eric", and 'corrected' it, in an error which has since propagated.

Anyone have any knowledge out there?
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I'm prett certain it said Edric at the top of the parts for Blackfriars we used for the French open in 2007 (or 2008?) as I recall a few folk remarked it might be a typo.

That was a fresh set too. (Meaning it was a photocopy of an old set with a publisher's stamp on it.....) I seem to recall it being an enjoyable if unremarkeable piece.

Beyond that, I couldn't say.
  3. MoominDave

I could easily believe that someone incorrectly took out the 'd' in the manner that you describe (e.g. maybe a sub-editor on a newspaper article such as this one).
    I could easily believe that that had happened multiple times.

But some of these Google results for "Eric Cundell" look remarkably convincing, and the feedback item seemed very certain. I note that there are those in the brass band website pool who go with Eric too.

However, I find it hard to see how all these results for "Edric Cundell", many of which look rock-solid, can be wrong.
  4. MoominDave

Hmm, most of those links don't seem to work. That's irritating.
  5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Eric or Edric, Blackfriars is still a very average piece of music.
  6. MoominDave

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Would make a very good 1st section area test piece;
    A great recording by Virtuosi Band was made ,some fantastic players on it as well,Brian Evans was just OUTSTANDING in this recording but he always was.:clap:
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Might it be a case of the publishers printing the score/parts with his name spelled incorrectly and not bothering to fix it?
  9. MoominDave

No, I don't think so... Try Googling both variants of the name and inspect the results.
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Interestingly enough, entering "Cundell, composer" reveals the whole first page referring to "Edric" + one "Edrich"!!!

Looking in more detail at the links, it would seem to point to Edric as being the correct version, with references to him as Principal of the Guildhall School of Music in 1942, and setting up his own chamber orchestra, together with various items of sheet music on sale under that name.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The entry for Edrich (It's a variant of Edric) was with a CD site. Any academic or historical reference to his forename states Edric. Only brass band references tag him as Eric. Blackfriars, I think, was named after the Guildhall campus site.
  12. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Ian Perks said: "Would make a very good 1st section area test piece;
    A great recording by Virtuosi Band was made ,some fantastic players on it as well,Brian Evans was just OUTSTANDING in this recording but he always was".

You may well be right on both counts. But it remains a very average piece of music.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  13. JR

JR Member

Wreckless Edric?

Definitely Edric!

Andi - I was in the same contest as you know - but actually I did it with Co-Op at Pontins in the 1st Section a few years earlier too.

It really is pretty average stuff with a very dated Euph solo as I remember. I've no idea why the piece keeps getting a revival - it belongs to that strange group of pieces written for the Nationals in the 1950s, most of which were arranged by Frank Wright, their composers never to surface for bands again. Such pieces as Sovereign Heritage (Jack Beaver), Diadem of Gold (Guilaime Balay or "G Bailey" on the parts!) and the best of the lot Variations on the Shining River by Edmund Rubbra.

Dont forget the brilliant Frogs of Aristophanes by Bantock - but he had already written for band years earlier.

John R
  14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Must have been before my time. We never did pontins while I was there. In fact my first pontins as a player was the last (ever?) one with Wakey Met on Les Preludes.

Yeah, I seem to remember it being a fairly pleasant piece to listen to, but I don't recall that there was much to write home about in it. Bass part was largely semibreve city as I remember. The very fact I can't actually remember any of the themes in it is an indication of how much impression it left.....