Editing Posts

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by VegasGeorge, Feb 7, 2014.

1. VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge Member

I understand, although don't agree with, the 5 minute editing rule. What I don't understand is why the 5 minutes keeps running while the post is being edited. That seems to be an unreasonable policy. A member should have as much time to carefully compose the edit as he or she had to compose the original post. I just spent a few minutes collecting my thoughts, and entering text in an edit, just to told my time had expired when I went to save the edit. How rude is that?
  2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

John's site, John's rules. If you had taken sufficient care over your first post, you wouldn't have had to edit it, would you?

If you don't like how the site works, you have a choice. Slating the site just because it doesn't suit you...how rude is that?
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Factually correct, but maybe a bit brusque, Geoff!

It is frustrating when an edit is cut off like this. Any of us who've made a fair number of posts will have experienced it. But as Geoff says, it's how the site is set up, and isn't actually a bad thing in itself - the rule was originally introduced to prevent people later making a nonsense out of threads by editing their posts after they had been replied to.

If something is truly in need of changing after the limit, PM the mods, and in my experience they'll happily sort it out for you.
  4. Stracathro

Stracathro Member

Steady on old chap! That rule has caught me out a couple of times too.
  5. The Wherryman

I have no doubt that a lot of posters, myself included, have been caught out by the 5 minute rule. Yes, it can be frustrating, but that is still no reason to make what I view as an offensive post.

I am a member of various forums, and, on those which allow unlimited editing, it can get very confusing.
  6. VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge Member

Hey guys, don't get me wrong here. I, more than most I suspect, appreciate this site and acknowledge the right of the owner to set the rules. This is really the only chance I get to talk brass with anyone, so I am externally grateful for the opportunity. And, being a staunch conservative law and order type fellow myself, I have the utmost respect for John's right to manage the site as he sees fit. But, I'm also the kind of guy who speaks his mind, although never with the intention of any offending anyone. When I said "rude," I was referring to the effect of the vBulletin software, not to anything about John. I apologize if my comment has caused any confusion in that regard.
  7. The Wherryman

Confusion sorted, thank you George :tup
  8. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

some people just queue up to take offence george ! and if those people had of taken the same time thinking about their origional post as they did about their 2nd, and latest post they probably would of apologised by now !