Edinburgh Brass Bands?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by dundee_horn, Mar 22, 2008.

1. dundee_horn

dundee_horn New Member

I am trying to decide on a university just now and was wondering what brass bands there were in/near Edinburgh. I already know there is a university brass band so any others would be useful.

2. Scotty

Scotty Member

Probably St Davids or Dalkeith are the closest bands to edinburgh.
  3. Ooh Aah

Ooh Aah New Member

You also have Newtongrange and MacTaggarts within about 7 miles of the city centre.
  4. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

St David's are based in Dalkeith, Dalkeith & Monktonhall in Prestonpans, MacTaggarts in Loanhead, and Newtongrange in - erm - Newtongrange...

Find out a bit more about us here (including rehearsal details on the 'Contact' page), or we've got links to the webpages of the other local bands mentioned. (And the band's Bebo page is here)

Oh, and of course there's Penicuik as well, but no contact info I'm afraid.
  5. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

There is a university band - the mighty EUBB!

We rehearse on Friday evenings during term time in the Reid Concert Hall, Bristo Sq - right in the central uni area, between 5-15 mins walk from all the residences. We do at least two concerts a year, at the end of each semester and usually have a couple more. We're a very social bunch and don't usually leave the pub (next door) until chucking out time at 3 - if you have any more questions, drop me a PM or email - c.l.sweetman@sms.ed.ac.uk

our website is here http://eubb.eusa.ed.ac.uk/ - it's not fully updated, but the forum should give you an idea of what we've been up to recently.

Hope to see you in Edinburgh in September :)

6. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

You'll find all about Penicuik Silver Band at www.penicuiksilverband.com
  7. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Take your pick! Depends what section you want to be in? Starting at the top there's Newtongrange currently championship section, then there's Dalkeith and Monktonhall (my band, which is bizarrely based in Prestonpans but we have a couple of Edinburgh uni students in the band) who just won the 3rd section at the Scottish so are going back up to 2nd, then St David's who are based in Dalkeith and McTaggarts in Loanhead who are also in the 3rd section, Then Penicuik who are in the 4th section.

Most of the bands have websites which will help u get info and if in doubt there are normally links on the sbba website for band websites or contact details.

Good Luck in your search!:tup :D
  8. GordonH

GordonH Member

You also have Broxburn (2 bands in Boroxburn) not that far from Edinburgh, but no brass bands in Edinburgh itself for many years until the university one was formed.

However, if anyone plays an orchestral brass instrument get in touch because I have vacancies for trumpet, horn, trombone and tuba currently.
  9. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Cos no-one can afford the real estate costs to have an Edinburgh based bandhall!!! ;)
  10. weemarky

weemarky Member

Probably a big factor in it Di. It's been on my mind for a while the prospect of a City of Edinburgh Brass Band. Theres enough players from Edinburgh commute elsewhere to go to a band it would make sense to have one on our doorstep!

As previously mentioned there are plenty of brass bands of varying levels in and around the area and I dare say every band will have someone that lives in Edinburgh that wouldn't mind giving you a lift to rehearsals.

Must put my other tuppence worth in aswel... there are a few bands slightly over the water in south fife... Dunfermline (about 20 mins from Edinburgh) who are in the 3rd Section, Lochgelly (about 25 mins from Edinburgh) in the 1st Section and Kingdom Brass (in between the 2) who are in the Championship Section.

Bottom line is there are plenty of options to choose from and good luck!
  11. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

But Edinburgh in itself is a fair sized city so your never gonna get a location that pleases everyone. Might still be easier for some folk to travel out of town then go in? And then there's the issue with parking.....:eek:
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Not too mention the detours for trams....

dmbabe, remind me to ask about those juggling baps next time we bump into each other :) :)
  13. GordonH

GordonH Member

I think its the case that brass band instruments are not widely taught in Edinburgh schools. I could be wrong, but local schools here in West Lothian seem to start teaching brass much earlier at primary school and have a greater focus on brass bands.
    e.g. I bet there are no Euphonium players at Burghmuir or Gillespies schools.

(no doubt, someone is now going to say that they wentt o Burghmuir.....)
  14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

:oops: It is what it says. Our band sport started with oor Johnny on B-flat bass who has stonking baps for juggling!! Fairs fair though and we went on to invent the mixed doubles bap juggling challenge!;)
  15. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Mr Martin has a pair of his own actually........................
  16. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

ooooh! We could start a league! Think its too late for the 2012 olympics?? Or do you think the commonwealth games in Glasgow is more the ticket? ;)
  17. dundee_horn

dundee_horn New Member

Hi, thanks for all your replies, they have helped a lot. I have checked out most of their websites and was wondering if anyone knew of a website for Broxburn Silver Band. All I can seem to find for them is a single page with their history.

18. brownrob

brownrob Member

Is there not a SA band in Gorgie?

That would dispel the myth that there is no Brass band in edinburgh!

Unfortunatley I didnt hear about them until after I left Uni, and the Uni Brass band started the year after I left!!!!

Maybe they were waiting for me to leave!!! LOL