Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by SuperHorn, Jun 16, 2005.

1. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

Eden - First Thoughts

We at Cwmaman attempted (in the loosest of terms possible) to run through the new National Test Piece - Eden last night.

What a stinker of a piece - wierd time signatures - 11/12 & 3/10, difficult unison (notation) cadenza type passages and a trombone part probably unplayable - Jazzy and manic @ Crotchet = 150 on super E's - (our trombone player may have to take some)

Any other reactons from fellow bandsmen?
  2. brass journo

brass journo Member

I was fortunate enough to look through the score before it went out to bands. It looks like a real challenge for the brain!

good luck everyone who gets to play it!

3. Suz

Suz Member

Haven't looked at it at BTM yet as we have been in France and are now involved in Brassed Off in Cardiff.

After reading what you have written I am already feeling a bit sick, if Steve says it is bordering on unplayable then "HELP"!!!!!

Solo Trom (maybe for not much longer!!!!)
    BTM Band
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I haven't seen the score, but maybe the composer's time with BAYV and Chris Thomas has had an influence ;)
  5. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Well, having not run it through I don't really know. My reaction so far however is "Oh great, another sack of money wasted on a new commission we don't need that will probably sound like a bag of cats being thrown down the stairs when there are plenty of great unused pieces that might actually be listenable."
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... a time signature in 3/10??? C'mon!!! :rolleyes:
  7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

It's a shame we are not there...really enjoyed working on John Pickards music Wildfire and Men of Stone ( both commissions from WAMF for the National Youth Brass Band of Wales ). John was a member of the composision staff at Bangor Uni back in the early 1990's and was influenced by Robert Simpson who dedicated Vortex to John as RS had "taken" a title of one of John's pieces...Good Luck to all the bands at the RAH , Eden sounds a real monster and it's good that there is a test not written by one of the usual suspects..well done Kapitol and Paul Hindmarsh :)
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Well I think those of you who are playing it should count yourselves lucky and just get on with it :p
    It sounds like a cracking piece. Tempting to try get down to London for a listen...
    Once you bands have got past the "sight-reading" stages it should grow on you more once you get your heads around it.....

If it's hard... dont complain..... just join a lower section band :p

Enjoy and good luck!
  9. Suz

Suz Member

I am not complaining, just a bit daunted at the moment as I haven't seen the "unplayable" part !!

I am happy it is not another orchestral arrangement though!

Solo Trom
    BTM Band
  10. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

I'm not complaining - looking forward to it very much - I like a challenge.

I'll practice and practice until it's right and if then not quite up to standard the first valve method will be put into full use - again.

The start fell apart last night - when 4 bars into the piece our conductor started to say - Mandate - 15437648 - it sounds like the beginning of Star Trek - just wait and visualise.

Can't wait - oh yeah Sop ends on Top D at the end - fff.
  11. Naomi McFadyen

12. baribari

baribari Member

"Superhorn" forgot to mention the crazy "speeding up/slowing down" unison bars and the silly low flutters at "pp"!

Personally I could not get my head around much the rythyms in the opening couple of pages for Euph. Also lots of different tempo/dynamics toward the end. Very difficult to read.

However the end is big, lush and harmonious - tons of chords and you immediately think WOW!

Compared to last year, this is a proper test for everyone - 'ard as 'ell!
  13. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Difficulty of pieces doesn't worry me... dwindling audiences at what are supposed to be our top contests and players hanging up instruments because they'd rather watch CSI then spend weeks and weeks rehearsing a piece they hate only to come 17th because their top trom splits a super E do worry me though.
  14. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you've got more information than I, Naruco, or you've heard it before, but I don't know how you can deduce that it's "a cracking piece" from:
    "wierd time signatures - 11/12 & 3/10, difficult unison (notation) cadenza type passages and a trombone part probably unplayable - Jazzy and manic @ Crotchet = 150 on super E'"

It may well be of course.

Best of luck to all who are playing it.
  15. Naomi McFadyen

There was also the "I was fortunate enough to look through the score before it went out to bands. It looks like a real challenge for the brain!" comment... which says it all for me really... :)

I also read the writeup on 4BR when it was first announced.... you can go alot by what these things say... plus knowing the composers music he's already written.... I'm sure we, the listeners, wont be disapointed.... I may just try get into someones rehearsals and hear for myself nearer the time to confirm my suspecions.....

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

(has anyone caught on to the fact that the 3/10 time signature does not exist?)
  17. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

It does in this piece - honestly.
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

erm., so the division is a 10th? Slightly shorter than a quaver, but much longer than a semiquaver in comparison? Methinks printing error!
  19. lewis

lewis Member

So there's us hoping we can all bring banding into the 21st Century and apparently the way to do this is make up new time signatures and having trombones playing in the horn regsiter?!?! God help us!
  20. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

A quintuplet quaver. So a 3/10 bar consists of three quintuplet quavers, relative to preceding bar. Composers like Brian Ferneyhough and James Dillon have been using these (so-called) irrational time signatures for about 10 years but this is the first time they've appeared in a BB score so far as I'm aware (though I've not seen the score of Hymns at Heaven's Gate which well might...)

Happy counting!