Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nickjones, May 10, 2004.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Just heard on the radio...Eddie Gray just had the DCM , Order of the Bullet....bit harsh!!!!
    am not a Leeds Fan..what is everyone's thoughts on maybe the last managerial casualty of this season......

Edit: Moved from Rehearsal Room! (dyl)
  2. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Not harsh at all.

As a Leeds fan, I know he is a legend at the club and has done an admirable job in tough circumstances but I cannot accept that he is the man to take Leeds into a new era and launch a bid to get back in the Premiership. I am not convinced he has the tactical knowledge and motivational qualities to get heads and work rate up.

My choices would be George Graham, Gordon Strachan or as an outsider who is as yet not completely proven....Iain Dowie.

3. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

I'm over the moon about it.
    Good riddance to the (edited - dyl)
    I doubt it'll be the last casualty either.
    Claudio Raniereiiereirieriiiireiii could well be on his way too.
  4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

George Graham....didnt he drop Leeds dans le merde. not very Loyal to Leeds when he got a better offer (Spurs.....dont understand that even now )
    Wee Gordon Stachan...aye back where he belongs..dont know if he would tho..
    Eddie Gray...should have kept him as a coach or at Leeds Academy....and get someone like Raddy Antic , or Hoddle...or Jacque Santini ( if france do quite badly in Portugal )

Other condenders for the sack...messers Houlier , Moyes , Ranieri..
  5. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

You're welcome to Monsieur Houllier!! Please take him!!
  6. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

What? Along with Heskey, Owen, Diouf and all your other flops? :wink:
  7. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Eddie Grey has done a good job in difficult circumstances but i must agree he is not the person to take Leeds United forward. I dont think Mr Graham should be anywhere near the place after his previous record with us - the phrase hot potato springs to mind. However, not sure who the right guy might be... We need some new blood in the management of the club as well as the management of the team. Unless we can find someone who can motivate players to play for the club, we may have emigrated from the top flight permenantly.

Come on Leeds...

8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Hey like I've said I am not a Leeds fan , just dont like the way a loyal servent of the Club has been sacked...tactics aside. as with banding a manager / conductor can only do so much...he cant play the 90 mins or your part for you...you have to stand up and be counted...
    Gerrard Houlier too.....a massive Liverpool fan , maybe a public relations position and get someone in the same mould as Kenny Daglish in.....Garry McCallister , or someone with a higher profile..
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Owen hasn't had a great season, but he can hardly be described as a flop! ;-)

I think Liverpool will keep Houllier if, as looks likely, they hang on to the CL 4th qualifying spot, but if they get knocked out of the qualifiers or the League stage, I think then, he'll be sacked. For Liverpool's sake, they should get rid of Houllier now, not because I waish to see him sacked, but I really don't think his heart's been fully in it since his unfortuante illness, probably due to worry that it'll flare up again.

I think Robson (age), Keegan (well, just 'cos he's Keegan!) and Pleat (who's managership should be kerb..... sorry....curbed!) are walking a very thin tightrope too.

And sure, it's with the benefit of hindsight, but I think Ferguson's time is up too. Not that it will happen.
  10. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Yeh Kenny Daglsish back for Liverpool! :lol:
  11. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

It's not really a big suprise the Eddie Gray has been given the spanish archer. I think Leeds would be better looking at managers in the 1st division.
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I don't think King Kenny has the nerve for management in the top flight unfortunately, but I think someone with a history at the club and some premier management experience like Souness could work wonders and instill that Liverpool passion back where it belongs.

As for Eddy, I do feel sorry for him, he got the pooh end of a particularly pooh covered stick I think.
    And don't give a monkeys who leeds get next as long as whoever it is sends them further in to obscurity and financial ruin.
    M-I-C...K-E-Y...M-O-U-S-E...MICKEY MOUSE...MICKEY MOUSE...!!! :twisted: :twisted:
  13. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Bet Kevin Blackwell wishes he'd stayed at Sheff Utd now. Looking forward to the 6 points we'll take off them next year. I agree that Leeds should look in the Nationwide for a manager.
  14. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I'm not surprised Eddie Gray has been sacked. He was only appointed because of lack of finances (IMHO). Too nice, no coaching qualifications and when you pick your two best central defenders in midfield.......clueless.

On a slightly different point I am hoping that Chelsea let Claudio Ranieri go and thet he comes to Spurs. He is the best manager (apart from Sam Allardyce) in the Premiership.
  15. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Ranieri, best manager in the premiership? You talk about Eddie Gary making odd decisions tactically.....tell you what, when you are a couple of goals in a champions league semi final, why not take your best striker off? That is good sound management :shock:

I don't think Ranieri deserves the treatment he has received from sections of the press and a certain Russian but I don't think he is a top drawer manager.
  16. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Im not saying Eddie should have been sacked, just saying that he isnt the guy to take the club forward from here on IMHO (for reasons everyone has mentioned here). Leeds have had a dreadful season and its time for someone to come in and sort it all out on the field - it can only help the problems off it. Eddies done well under the circumstances, but its not enough - Ranierri on the other hand... well... Different debate altogether - erratic genius i think... If he gets the sack the question becomes is there any morality left in football anymore? Money seems to have a bigger say...
  17. missflugel

missflugel Member

It is shame that such a nice guy was sacked from the position but anyone who didnt see it coming must be blind and oblivious to what was going on in football.
    What is not a shame is that Leeds are in the state they are in through no fault than their own and are at the moment, where they deserve to be. Just a reward for destroying English football all those years ago.
    What does impress me about Leeds is the dedication the fans have shown and their ability to realise what level they will be working at for atleast the next few years by chasing Ian Dowie.
  18. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

What utter rubbish - please explain exactly how Leeds managed to destroy English football?

Leeds fans have proven themselves this season to be the best in country. The so-called best fans in the land were booing their own team yesterday when they drew at home with Wolves, yet they are top six in the league and were semi finalists in the UEFA Cup.

Leeds fans, unlike so many many other clubs I could mention are not living in the past. If we were chasing Dowie, what would be the problem? Has he not just got his team from mid table mediocrity to secure a play off place in a matter of months? If Leeds are in the same position next year as Palace are now, it will be a fine achievement and would mean a realistic chance of playing premiership in 2005-06.

Think about what you say before posting mis-informed comments that people in a public forum can rip to shreds.
  19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ooh!! Think you touched a nerve there missflugel!! :wink:
  20. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Yes - I shall be issuing Mr Durrant instructions to slap your legs at the next rehearsal , miss flugel :wink: