Ecological Footprint.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Mar 1, 2006.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Found the link to this on the Uni site, very interesting! Well it gives you something to think about,
    apparently if everyone lived like me it would take up 2 1/2 planets. :-? How about you?
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You should worry - I need 4.7 planets :(

Think this is my ridiculous annual mileage that does that for me - and it doesn't seem to take into account any recycling effort either...
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

2.3 planets here... :eek:
  4. m.f.cooper

m.f.cooper Member

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I looked at this stuff for my degree this year, and I don't think the website is entirely fair. Far too much emphasis is put on vegetarianism. Although it takes on average 4.7ish times as much energy to produce our food in the UK as we get from it, there are sill ways of eating a omnivorous diet without automatically destroying the planet. For a start, sourcing local meat is better for the planet than intensively farmed vegetables, or some of the obscure fruits and vegetables from exotic countries.

Just to note, the only way of getting down to 1 planet is to choose to not use any transport, only eat vegan food, live in a tiny, green development/zero carbon house with six other people and not use electricity. So maybe we've just got too many people...
  6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

[slightly smug] Only 1.3 planets for me. [/slightly smug]
  7. Souter

Souter Member

2.9 planets here and I should be so ashamed as I am a Scottish Green party candidate for nxt years council elections :-(
  8. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

3.3 planets here :-? :redface:
  9. julestools

julestools Active Member

2 planets for me I'm afraid :oops:

10. axio

axio Member

Might be stacked a bit against us Kiwis.. trying to apply global rules to a local situation... Most people have a reasonable sized house and property over here just because we have the space... plus the farms are all just down the road :D
    (... 3.3 planets ...)
  11. Key2207

Key2207 Member

4.4 planets for me...:eek:
  12. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

2.6 planets for me
  13. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

um , would you believe 7.3 planets....I think I owe someone a planet or two.....
  14. Jamie

Jamie Member

1.5 for me, but I guessed for a few so I may have been lying!
  15. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I didn't know most of the answers so 1.4
  16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Oh good - I'm not the worst on here! :-?
  17. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

2.3 planets...Although the average Ecological footprint in the UK is 5.3, and I am only 4.1, so that is good i suppose!
  18. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Oh Dear!

Footprint 9.3 :eek:
    Planets 5.2 :eek:

Better hide before Greenpeace catch me!
  19. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

I'm right there with ya at 7.2. This probably weighs more heavily on our use of public transportation (none for me - none in the area), and fuel mileage of our cars (which admittedly, mine is atrocious in my big Dodge Ram truck).
  20. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

A bit embarrasing doing the US version...10.6 planets!!

So I also filled it out as how I lived in Watford last year and got 3.4 planets!!

A bit frustrating. Whilst I was not thrilled about my living conditions in Watford I really would walk to the market more and take public transport more ifit were available.