Ebay gone wrong - Advice please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BigHorn, Aug 21, 2007.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

3 weeks ago I purchased an item on ebay from a private individual who had good positive feedback. I paid for the item the day that I won the auction and received positive feedback from him for prompt payment.
    The item has still not arrived although he insits he posted it a couple of weeks ago.
    I tend to beleive that he did post it - however he has my money and all I have is a hole in my pocket.
    So my question is, if said item has gone missing in the post who is responsible for the cost? Who should be pursuing the missing parcel with the post office?
    If it cannot be found what is the best way of recovering my money and from whom?

I have not yet gone through the Ebay dispute procedure or left him negative feedback yet as I want to resolve this amicably.
    I suspect other Ebayers out there have suffered similar experiences - what did you do and what was the outcome?
  2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

If you used Paypal then I would not be worried about losing the cash. Was the seller UK based or abroad?
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I paid by paypal. The seller is from the UK - Scotland.
  4. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

First you need to discuss it with the seller. Was it posted simply first class? Recorded / signed for?? Does the seller have proof of postage??

If there is proof of postage and the item hasn't arrived one of you can claim compensation from the post office up to a certain amount. They will need full details of where it was posted and they will need original 'proof of postage' docs so usually the seller does this.

If the seller won't help with this, then you need to make a claim through PayPal for a non-delivered item and start dispute proceedings on e-bay.

The problem with that is that you will probably both end up with a negative feedback (don't forget that it's only your word against him/the post office that the item never arrived - you could just as easily be scamming him for a refund after recieving the item) so for cheaper items it often isn't worth going through this.
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Even if you don't pay for recorded/special delivery, if you post a parcel at the Post Office, you get a printed receipt with the post code of the recipient on it.
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

By way of a possible explanation then, the postal service up here has been subject to wildcat strikes in the last few weeks. I believe that there is a large backlog of letters and parcels at both main sorting offices in Edinburgh and Glasgow. I would give it the traditional 28 days before venturing down other routes.
  7. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

If the seller sent the item recorded delivery you can go on the Post Office website and track your parcel with the receipt number.This will tell you if it's been delivered or if you weren't in when it was delivered and it has been returned to the sorting office.This has happened to me on more than one occasion whereby the said parcel has been "delivered" when I wasn't in and the Posty has neglected to pop a red card through my letterbox telling me the item has been returned to the sorting office awaiting my collection.You can then go there with ID and collect it 48hrs after alleged delivery!
  8. Robhibberd29

If you say the seller has already left you positive feedback he cannot rescind this therefore you will not get negative feedback. I would recommend you claim back through Paypal as an item non delivered wether it be a large or small amount, it is the principal of the thing to me irrespective of the amount.Have done this on numerous occasions and every time received either a refund or, magically, said item suddenly, amazingly, appears through my letterbox! Placing yourself in the seller's position they also probably think for a small amount it's not worth the hassle of NOT giving you your money back.This is because you are still in a position to leave them negative feedback which they will want to avoid of course.It's not bullying it's looking after number 1 because no one else will.I've learnt the hard way to always leave feedback once the item has been delivered (recorded) and honest feedback left for me.
  9. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

I suggest that you go to your local sorting office to see if the parcel / item is there waiting to be picked up. Its worth going to enquire incase the postman did not put a card through your letterbox.
  10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Thanks for all the good advice. The auction item never did turn up so I made a paypal claim as advised. Just got confirmation though paypal that the seller is making a full refund.
    I feel a bit sorry for him as the goods were obviously just lost in the post. However, I suppose only he had control of how it was posted and took the risk of not insuring/tracking it.
  11. Di

Di Active Member

'Tis a shame, but good news that you are going to get your refund. :tup
  12. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I've been on the other end of the stick, being the person that sent an item that arrived in a different state that I sent it. I bought a bluetooth stereo head-set on ebay, didn't like it and re-sold it on ebay. The person that won my auction was in Italy so I packaged it up (pretty well I might add!)

I got an email...with pictures a of what arrived, and it wasn't what I sent, and it took about 3 weeks!

He made a claim, I produced a proof of postage, he ended up out of pocket. The charger was missing and it looked like someone had taken a lighter to the main headset. Definately not me!

I didn't have to pay anything but I felt really guilty that I had sold something to someone and they didn't get what they were expecting. Someone in either the Royan Mail, or the Italian Postal service had opened and tampered with what I sent, and I was the one that was under accusation during the paypal investigation!

Saying that, in all of my ebay transactions (I have a 462 rating on ebay as I type) only the one mentioned above, and one other (nigerian scam) have been negative for me

13. Robhibberd29

I guess there's a moral in this story somewhere! I used to use Ebay every day and I've bought hundreds of items on there, from cd's to bathroom suite! I was unfortunate enough to have my identity stolen by someone in Asia and had my account abused to the highest order! As much as I love Ebay, I dare not use it anymore now for fear of it happening again.If I see something I want on it, I get a mate to buy it for me.